• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The inside of my engine is black ugh

Chevy3500

Reaction score
Ok i know alot about diesel engines and kknow that its commen for the oil to be black. But what is a safe way for my engine to clean the black stuff off of everything in my engine, without hurting the seals.

drain the oil leave the old filter in place. put in clean oil and run it until it's really warmed up maybe even a touch hot, then change the oil again along with the filter. it will be clean for a lil while

so throw a quart of atf in with it. anything that will quickly remove any build up usually isn't good for the engine.

A gallon of kerosene dumped into the oil rite before you change it, hold it around 1200 - 1500 rpm for about 10 minit, then drain your oil like normal. Make sure ALL the old oil is out when you change it.
repeat as often as necessary to clean it.

If the inside of the engine is black, at some point and time the wrong oil was used in the engine. Use the kerosene or even diesel fuel and just let the engine idle for 15 to 30 minutes then change the oil. Make sure to use a good diesel grade oil, it will keep the gunk in suspension instead of glued to the inside of your engine.

If the inside of the engine is black, at some point and time the wrong oil was used in the engine. Use the kerosene or even diesel fuel and just let the engine idle for 15 to 30 minutes then change the oil. Make sure to use a good diesel grade oil, it will keep the gunk in suspension instead of glued to the inside of your engine.

If the inside of a 6.5 is black it merely indicates the engine was run. These are a dirty sooty engine with very little oil in the crankcase to keep it clean. Newer or gapless rings will keep things clean for awhile longer. Recall hard use requires a 2500 mile oil change by my 1993 owner's manual.

Running thinner things in the oil like diesel, marvel mystery oil, etc is a risk to turbo bearings. I have used 10 wt oil to clean out a 6.2 way back when. However, what do you expect to gain from this? After all the engine is going to put the soot back on unless you have refreshed the rings. In my experience gapless rings are keeping my oil clean enough to see the dipstick marks through the oil after 1000 miles. The 6.2 I cleaned out got just as dirty on the dipstick in 1000 miles. You should see how much soot builds up on the pushrods - not easy to clean w/o pulling them out.

I am not a fan of any thinners to flush the engine. The oil cooler holds a good bit of black oil and anything you flush with so it'll take a second oil change to clean out the flush too.

It'll turn black again pretty quick but a back to back oil change (with a little run time between) will clean it a little. Put in 1 quart of synthetic and rest regular diesel oil and the synthetic will clean it a little. I like to top off with synthetic between oil changes.

Most diesel engines I've seen have always had black oil, it's just a byproduct of high compression and direct injection. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm not sure why you're so concerned...

Black oil isn't a concern, black chunky oil IS a concern. if it is just black and looks like sootfrom your tail pipe, then that is normal. if it comes out in uneven little chunks and such, then you should concern yourself with it. I know I always changed my 6.5 every 5000 miles with 15W40 ROTELLA. It was black, but never real bad.

It does not really bother me but if their was a way to get it clean I would and these 6.5 s are indirect injection I'm not really worried about it being black kow

Regular oil changes with quality diesel oil will get it (and keep it) as clean as it needs to be. Flushing is asking for trouble and leaks on an older engine.

One could always get a bypass oil filter to help keep the soot, or I should say most of the soot out of the oil. I have a FS2500 bypass oil filter, and even my oil is black, but is absent the soot. There is no grit in the oil, just very, very smooth. :D I agree with Mike here. Flushing a high mileage older diesel engine, and you're asking for trouble. If you didn't have any leaks, you're probably going to have some when you're done. Just keep changing the oil at regular intervals, along with filter changes, and you should be good to go.

Back