• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The Importance of Spare PMD!!!

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
I know I may be preaching to the choir but I want to stress the importance of spare PMD.

On the way home from a long distance trip (almost 2000 miles round trip), the burb experienced some stalling problem.
It happened after we fill up the fuel as we drove off and it started with difficulty starting.
Then, I drove it off and it stalled again like the engine just shut off and cruising.
Remembering the problem with previous PMD, I parked and started checking the batteries' connectors.
It was good and there seems to be fine.

So, I pull out the trusted spare PMD (already mounted on a heatsink) from the toolbox and started to change it.
Took less than 5 minutes since it is in the bumper.

I asked my friend to crank it and wala, it was fine.:hihi::hihi:
This happened back in the middle of TN on the way back to TX around 10 hours from home on Sunday late night.
I don't think the part store was opened plus I don't think there is one available.
I could not think what would happen and also it happened in a truck stop parking lot.

Right after that, sent a message to Leroy and bought a new PMD from him since I remember his post on PMD promo price.
Great service, got here in 2 days.

Just to reiterate the importance of spare PMD.
Just in case you are still thinking about having that spare PMD.

I have 2 of Leroy"s coolers on each side of the license plate. The spare has an old plug installed to keep corrosion out. When The current pmd craps out I will move the plug to other side. I've been stuck in the middle of the Jersey pine barrens out of cell range, hoping the truck would start again. Or worse, WOT with a red light ahead on the same trip.

I have 2 of Leroy"s coolers on each side of the license plate. The spare has an old plug installed to keep corrosion out. When The current pmd craps out I will move the plug to other side. I've been stuck in the middle of the Jersey pine barrens out of cell range, hoping the truck would start again. Or worse, WOT with a red light ahead on the same trip.

I think I finally got 2 PMD's mounted on all of my vehicles. I scfrew things up by taking off a known to be good PMD and then not getting it back where it belongs

Thank you JMJNET.

It evened happened to me. When I got the burb I drove without a spare for along time even though I had one on the shelf made up ready to go in. I would always just forget to throw it in the burb. One day I grabed it on the way out and sure enough 15 miles from here the old one took a shit. Got it pulled over and less than 5 minutes was back on the road. Must of had some good Karma that day.

I always carried one as well, but never needed it. It did come in handy when I was experiencing some stalling issues after going to WOT in Little D- turned out to be the lift pump. I did use it as a "check" to eliminate the PMD as the culprit. After Larry's weird unsolved electrical gremlins I eliminated the potential PMD problem and went mechanical!:D

I used to have 2 in the bumper but I took off the spare due to dust and dirt accumulated on the spare.

So I just put the spare PMD in the tool box.

May be not exactly 10 sec change but less than 5 minutes is good enough for me.

Having a spare pmd with you is only a good idea if you are the kind of person that thinks a spare tire with you is a good idea.

I´d have to add a spare OPS to the lengthening list.

I have one of those OPS :hihi: also except I put in the relay harness from Kennedy and still waiting for it to go bad.
Leroy sells the OPS relay harness also, now.

I also have a spare LP in my toolbox.:)

All those items are good to have at hand when you need them, and you never know when you will.

When my PMD went out it was mounted on the pump still (new truck to me) so the 5 minutes I referred to was installing new cable, routing and mounting in bumper all on the side of the road.

Yeah, the ops issue is easily fixed with the toggle switch in the relay harness mod, and once the load is off the ops it could last the life of the truck. The reason I say a spare pmd is you will use it eventually, so buy it now because next year they will probably cost more anyhow. As soon as the truck starts doing anything goofy, that's the 1st thing to check.

As a mechanic working on fleets of these it was a tool. One lived in my side box with electrical test equipment like good relay and fuses. It's like a cheap go-no go scanner to me.

Ditchpig, As far as the compressor- got it air up tires in motion. But if you don't check your tire pressure monthly you ought to. If you don't check your pressure at least twice a year then :nonod:

Redundant is good I have two remote greys one took a crap after 3 years while the older black ones failed within a year.

I did learn about how the cruise control will not function when one goes bad even if the vehicle shows no other pmd/fsd problems.

Back