• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The gauntlet was thrown down

I know im going to lose but I needed to put new parts on my old girl anyways so this just gives me more of an excuse to replace parts that need to be replaced

I know im going to lose but I needed to put new parts on my old girl anyways so this just gives me more of an excuse to replace parts that need to be replaced

You can definatly make it run strong, and they are cheap to work on and good MPGs too!

I have no problem with you replacing parts and upgrading while at it...but unless you have money to throw away on doing another build after you window the block or something else...then why put this otherwise dependable long lasting great fuel mileage drivetrain through the abuse...not to mention having to lose to a cummins...

I just did an expensive build on my dmax and am starting to come to the realization, that I'd rather have her last than abuse it...and mine is built for 600 everyday dependable h.p.

I use my truck to make a living and I'm not sure I want the breakdown expense and loss of use of the truck...

I have no problem with you replacing parts and upgrading while at it...but unless you have money to throw away on doing another build after you window the block or something else...then why put this otherwise dependable long lasting great fuel mileage drivetrain through the abuse...not to mention having to lose to a cummins...

I just did an expensive build on my dmax and am starting to come to the realization, that I'd rather have her last than abuse it...and mine is built for 600 everyday dependable h.p.

I use my truck to make a living and I'm not sure I want the breakdown expense and loss of use of the truck...

Same boat. Piddly 170k on the odo and everything I just put into the truck is intended for longevity primarily, and a little bit (primarily the transmission kit) is so I can run the 120 tune on the predator.... all I want, all I need, and all I can afford. I can get into traffic easy, get out of everyone's way as well as my own, go fast as necessary and pull heavy things with a smile.

Good nuff for me.

That's why I stopped at just north of 400HP, and called it good. At that power level the ALLISON will live a long happy life, my rods should resist shortening, and hopefully my pistons will remain in 1 piece.

Im not just really being reckless. I am getting a lot of parts that need to be changed every so often any way so its not as though I want to blow up my truck . I put the challenge to the Cummins and if I lose with lower horse power thats fine im not afraid to lose

Most 6.5 turbo's, although restrictive, outlive the engine or die when the engine comes apart. I have one in the garage with 174K on it. You don't need to replace it due to age or miles. I am not going to use the factory turbo because it chokes over 2200 RPM. I have the HX40II on the 1995 and had the A Team Turbo on it before that. The HX40II will light off at a lower RPM however the A Team Turbo will pull harder at WOT after it lights off.

Use the Big turbo on the dyno and the smaller turbo on the 1/4 mile track.

The HX35 IMO is simply too small for what you want. The 6.5 being an IDI engine with a restrictive exhaust and non-optimal cam design doesn't have the HP/TQ room a Cummins does. You need head studs to hold higher boost reliably. Then you start to worry about the bottom end main bearing saddles cracking out of the block.

For $1200.00 you can get a surplus military 6.2 engine. So feel free to grenade the 6.5 trying to keep up. With any luck the Cummins will tear up the transmission behind it, but, you have to be on the track for that to be a win.

:eek: Yes, it is a well known fact that Cummins engines were de-tuned in Dodge trucks so the transmission would hold up. Look at the manual vs. auto power ratings over the years!

What to expect with a well modded 6.5:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?35650-1993-DB2-Dyno-run-with-ATT
4" exhaust with straight through muffler, A Team Turbo, snorkel removed, advanced timing, 1000 max EGT so could use more fuel, Head studs, Walbro lift pump, cooling mods, fresh transmission...

Another $600 thrown at a 6.5 gets you this (dyno run somewhere but can't find it off hand):

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?36278

You have more fuel available with a DS4 and some people around that can get the fuel out of it.

Do go into this with realistic expectations. :thumbsup: Your truck will run stronger and be worth it for that alone, but, unless you are paying the shop to de-tune the other truck... I mean you want to help their transmission life, right?

Any news on the dyno runs? Hx35 shouldnt be to bad assuming it has no smaller then a 14cm2 turbine housing. Good luck.

not yet just layed down my base run, and i got 179hp and 338 ft/lbs and now the mods start so i can get a little better number

good day in the life of a 5 speed owner, cheaper and easier to get the ponies to the pavement. hear hear! :)

which brings me to the next question, tanner, arent you a Brotherhood member? where is your signature reference!?! :D

good day in the life of a 5 speed owner, cheaper and easier to get the ponies to the pavement. hear hear! :)

which brings me to the next question, tanner, arent you a Brotherhood member? where is your signature reference!?! :D

Can't find the thread :dunno: I think I am but have lost track of that and could only find my dually club #. I'm multiplying in the dually department now that I am getting dually axles for Ol' Blue and parting out my 2 srw 1500's.

Back