• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The gauntlet was thrown down

BigBearZach

Reaction score
So the other day hanging out and my local diesel performance shop the other old boy with a 12V in a 1500 ram throw down on a dino challenge. He bet me that I couldn't be his truck in horse power with my 6.5 so I except the challenge and ordered a bunch of parts for my truck to beat a 12V on a dino. The best part of the whole thin is the shop owner is helping me to beat him and he is a Cummins guy. I will win no matter what it takes cause I want to prove a 6.5 is a bad ass motor. :boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:

Uh, is the shop owner selling you stuff to help beat the guy? Hope they are not in it together and sucking you into spending a whole bunch of money.

Hope you do a full systematic build with complementary mods of power and reliability. And I hope you know the limits of the 6.5.

If the cummins is stock you will be able to beat him but if he puts as much money into his truck as you do to yours you'll probably not beat him.

No im paying for everything. Everything ive got so far is basic stuff mostly exhaust turbo and little of this and that. And the 12V is mostly stock

What kind of turbo, what kind of tune, what kind of intake mods?

Just remember...it doesn't take much money to make that Cummins run good...and they are hard to break at a power level that would beat a modded 6.5...

you may spend a bunch of coin only to get beat and end up with a broken truck...

I'm leaning towards what others are thinking that you are being sucked in...

No cause it was me who started to talk all the trash the only thing the shop has really convicted me to get is a new turbo the rest of the stuff that has been ordered was all my idea

regardless...I would try to find an honorable way to back out of this no win situation...save face and the truck gets to live a long life...that's a win win situation...

You're going to spend money you could put in much more useful and important things.... and not embarass yourself when, not if, you grenade that truck trying to beat it.

Or, just step up and borrow a bro's Duramax that's a little tweaked to the good side... and watch johnny cummins waffle

competitions where you will win:

dead cold starts
the lifetime lack of death wobble competition
NV4500 5th gear life
truck quality

competitions where you will lose:
any 6.5L vs "slightly" modified cummins dyno runs.

answer me this: where are you buying these parts? I bet its at this diesel shop. IMO you are pushing a stock motor too far. you will likely blow the engine because you chased performance first and threw reliability aside. then you will curse the 6.5L and move onto something else. so is the cycle. Please break the cycle and dont be afraid to ask some more experieinced minds here what to do if you are dead set on cummins fighting.

Im not just really being reckless. I am getting a lot of parts that need to be changed every so often any way so its not as though I want to blow up my truck . I put the challenge to the Cummins and if I lose with lower horse power thats fine im not afraid to lose

Without Spending a Dime on a 12v, just by Turning Wrenches and Screw Drivers, you can get 100-150hp over Stock, for Free...and the Truck will still be able to be Driven Daily.

I think you're getting taken for a Ride.

How much $$ does it take to get a 6.5 to 100-150hp over Stock, while still being Reliable?

Not to try and down talk the 6.5, but this is a guaranteed loss unless the CUMMINS guy blocks his fuel shutoff solonod to only half travel. If it is a 94+ 12 valve with a P7100 pump, even the 160HP version can put down close to 400 at the wheels with a ground fuel plate, 3K GSK, and a boost valve. With a set of injectors, properly modified 180HP pump, and a turbo, he could be putting down close to 600HP. Even the earlier VE pumped engines can put down mid 300's with a few mods and a turbo.

I'll have to agree with what everyone has said. The Cummins is a "world class" engine by compairison the 6.5 is a "grocery getter"
I love the 6.5 (obviously) but it has its place.

Back