• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

testing a cheap lift pump

devildogadam

Reaction score
Well because of how cheap I am I went and bought a $37 fuel pump off ebay. My plan is to post some pics of the installation and show what kind of cheap little things I have done with it and then just see how long it last. The pump is a generic racing pump set up for hot rods, It is suppose to be able to flow 130gph at 14 psi (keep in mind that is for thinner gasoline not thick diesel). It cost a total of $47.97 with shipping and arrive on my door step in a timely manner. I asked the seller if it was able to run methanol and if it was a flow on fail pump, he could not answer either and had no clue what he was even selling, So that is a strike against it already but we will soon see how it works. I am hoping to also install a cheap fuel pressure gauge in line that will monitor pressure right before the injection pump. Also because I removed my tank sock I will be running a $5 filter from autozone that i plan to change out every other oil change or more often if needed. I know it might not be up to everybody's standards what I am doing but I am just going to give it a try and see how it turns out

Mom said "you don't know until ya try it." We have what is expected to be the best fix, but a lowest cost answer is good also.

A cheap fuel pressure gauge that has vacuum also. Just use a steel t (instead of the one in the kit) and hose clamps.
http://www.handsontools.com/Actron-CP7802-Vacuum-Pressure-Tester-Kit-_p_130201.html

The inline filter your using as a pre filter- I would think about ability to add another gauge between it and the tank to check for vacuum being pulled from plugging quickly.

Whether vacuum is pulled before pre filter or before ip, vacuum on the fuel is BAD. It will boil off its additives in the line, building up deposits in the line, causes lack of lubricant to the ip and injectors. And of coarse the whole make the ip work a zillion times harder wearing it out quicker trying to pull the fuel up against the resistance. My theory is, as long as you are putting in a gauge, get one that reads both if it is a cheap gauge or one high $. The added 5% cost is worth it.

Also if you end up redoing where the pump has to mount and such, remember "pumps don't suck" always put a pump as close to the tank as possible.
(AM General got that one wrong with the hmmwv- pump is up next to the ffm next to cylinder #5).:WTF:

That looks like a copy of the classic Holley 'red' pump. The real holley is fairly cheap and amazingly durable. The one on my RV has worked maintenance free since 1997, and I even have one on my offroad race truck. They say it's not for diesel, but I don't see why not as long as it's not super cold outside.

Looks like this pump quits so will your engine. Relay to pump quits, OPS quits, brushes wear out in a short 15K miles, fuse blows just to mess with you and... engine quits too. This happens on high end pumps too that don't have flow on fail designs.

Seal compatibility is also an unknown. Seals leak both fuel, easy to spot and fix, and air that is hard to find and causes all kinds of fishbite plus hard starting nightmares.

If you get that filter "in the cold" you can learn about fuel gelling/waxing.

You saved $22 over the cheapest factory replacement at a local parts store and $100 over a decent pump. We are a frugal and cheap lot on here, but, open to new good ideas. Not spending enough to do the job properly is learned from the school of hard knocks. That said having tried about everything out there I suggest you send this mess back. Driveability and stalling due to pump issues are not fun to track down. A single tow bill will completely wipe out your savings and then some. I will make an exception and spare you the future "I told you so just doesn't cut it." and say it now. :nonod: Perhaps our fault for not being clear enough on why a good lift pump is important. (The seller unable to answer questions is a big red flag.)

At the very least you need to do the OPS relay mod as this motor may take more current than the factory pump and even the factory pump ate OPS units often.

I'm a cheapskate from waaay back, so I fully understand trying to do it on the cheap. Not to mention its fun to try, and do it different. I've logged many a hour on the side of the road because of my experimenting with a more economical way of doing thing. However, it can be very rewarding when things work well, and I'm one of those hard headed types that even when people tell me it won't work, I still have to find out for myself. :rolleyes5: You've already heard from guys that have been there before, that it probably not the best choice, but if it does start to act up, you know where to start looking.
Best of luck, and I look forward to pics of the install! :thumbsup:

Matt

got the pump in today will post pics tomorrow. i have it as close to the tank as i can. i will be moving it a foot or less forward to slide in the pre-filter then i am building my own ftb mod and i will have a pressure guage on the intake with a clear line from the ffm to the injection pump. for the test drive it ran great i notice it shifting alot better and being a lot more peppy especially when cruising down the road above 50 mph that probably being from finally having the pressure to go with the tunes, the only down side so far (other than that fear of your Chinese parts exploding at any time) is the noise, holy cow this thing is loud. but otherwise i am happy and back on the road, though i still have some work to do.

I have that pump, its not flow on fail. Like WW said any issue with the fuel system and the engine will die. The pump will act like turning off a valve. As long as pump works you'll be in good shape. The filter is to small IMO, but let us know how it does.
The DS4 really likes 9-13psi so yeah I bet it does run better. I try to tell people that and I don't think they believe it? Stock LP is good for 7psi max on its best day.

Yeah, definately carry a piece of rubber fuel line long enough to bypass the prefilter and lp, along with 2 clamps and double barbed fittings.

Good luck!!!

Base on inputs from some of the expert here, I would carry a spare LP when travelling long distance.
Sort of like carrying a spare PMD.

Plus all the tools needed to change it on the road.

I have that pump, its not flow on fail. Like WW said any issue with the fuel system and the engine will die. The pump will act like turning off a valve. As long as pump works you'll be in good shape. The filter is to small IMO, but let us know how it does.
The DS4 really likes 9-13psi so yeah I bet it does run better. I try to tell people that and I don't think they believe it? Stock LP is good for 7psi max on its best day.

It's not that I don't believe you, It's just that time and money thing. LOL

so there it is. it is not a pretty install but it works. in the second photo you can see just how close to the tank it is. i am working on uploading a video that proves this IS a FLOW ON FAIL pump. i got worried with all the talk of side of the road troubles and did a quick test where i simply turned off the pump while the truck was running. i revved it up a few times and left it sit for about ten minutes then revved it up again. the truck never died or even sputtered ran just fine. so that is probably the best thing to come out of my little test. we now know if you run one of these cheap pumps you will not be left on the side of the road when it does fail. i will keep trying to upload that video and then maybe do one where i drive it down the road with the pump off.

Thats good news that it will FOF, My pump did not. Test it under driving conditions also.

Just for future readers If you don't want to cut your hard line My LP bypass fittings will also screw right on to the FSU (just did it with my Raptor install) then run a rubber hose from there to LP and/or fuel filter.

very true. i did not have a choice as the PO had cut the metal fuel lines and put those rubber ones in. i was not happy to find that after i bought the truck.

so there it is. it is not a pretty install but it works. in the second photo you can see just how close to the tank it is. i am working on uploading a video that proves this IS a FLOW ON FAIL pump. i got worried with all the talk of side of the road troubles and did a quick test where i simply turned off the pump while the truck was running. i revved it up a few times and left it sit for about ten minutes then revved it up again. the truck never died or even sputtered ran just fine. so that is probably the best thing to come out of my little test. we now know if you run one of these cheap pumps you will not be left on the side of the road when it does fail. i will keep trying to upload that video and then maybe do one where i drive it down the road with the pump off.
2 thumbs up. But I would still go with a bigger filter

if you click this img you can watch the video on photobucket. sorry for the very poor quality and camera work this was my very first video ever. and also for my crying daughter the truck scared her a bit when i revved it up.

so far i do not have the pre-filter in yet, i cant decide if i want to put it in and stay with the super cheap theme or go with a nice set-up like leroydiesel sells. i fully agree with burning oil on not cutting up your stock fuel lines but on my truck someone already did it before i could get to it.

on another good note. the pump was horribly loud at first but has quieted down a lot, now it sounds like most airdogs i have heard, slightly louder than stock but easy to live with. so far i am happy now the only question is how long this thing will last.

also i am in need of the fittings for a feed the beast kit, i found a store that sells 3/8 barbed fittings with the correct threads to screw into the injection pump but it is a 2 hour drive, I also tried to call walking j designs and could not get a hold of them, so if anyone has a set for sale just pm me so i can take them off of your hands and finish up this little project.

thanks again for all the suggestions and feedback, i hope i can document it well enough for others to make a good choice on their trucks.

Back