• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tested: 2021 Chevrolet Suburban Diesel.

Still not impressed.

8K# towing is really no different than the gassers. Sure, not many tow RVs this heavy, but then again some do. To date I have towed 8K# with two SOB SUVs vehicles 'rated' at 9K#. One was a 100% whilte-knucke deal and the other was not really stable. Also, 8K# continues to eliminate this vehicle for contractor use. But then again, am not seeing where it is really for the utility crowd. More like a sedan on steroids 'cause it is no longer cool to own a sedan.

And based on another report, we get payload:

Not impressed here either. 1,625 pounds gets 8 adults and ~7/8 tank of fuel (presuming GM is still using a 40 gallon tank). And that is for 2WD. Have not seen 4WD specs yet. For the type of crowd that will use this thing, it means they will have to leave the golf clubs at home and rent.

Last, DEF. Am conflicted as to whether I want to breathe soot or ammonia. From what I am aware of, soot will settle out of the atmosphere without burning plant-life or corroding metal. But hey, this is all in the name of eliminating NOx, so all is good, right?

What I *really* want is for GM to bring back the 3/4 ton Burb that has all the same capabilities as the last 3/4 ton Burb!

My vote is that somebody is trying to put a 'check-in-the-box' to shut-up the diesel fans by stating that they 'listened' and put a diesel back in the Burb.

But when sales are lackluster, they get to kill it again with the claim that nobody wanted it; they also get to use this as a justification of killing it for good. Truly sad as thing scratches the *wrong* itch: it is NOT a 3/4 ton Burb with *all* the utility and bling of the previous 3/4 ton Burb! The downsized DMax just goes to support this position. Am not aware of the Silverado crowd begging for a 3L diesel.

So far I am seeing just one substitute for the 3/4 ton Burb: sucking-it-up and paying for a *used* 3/4 ton Burb which GM no longer wants to make :(

I don’t get why they don’t do the real Duramax. Just dumb.
Because it's not needed. I know I have one, but the power is just not needed honestly. The market segment for people that need to tow the kind of weight that calls for a V8 diesel in an SUV is INCREDIBLY small. The diesel in the Burb is being done to boost the un-meetable CAFE standards the demorats are setting.

Because it's not needed. I know I have one, but the power is just not needed honestly. The market segment for people that need to tow the kind of weight that calls for a V8 diesel in an SUV is INCREDIBLY small. The diesel in the Burb is being done to boost the un-meetable CAFE standards the demorats are setting.

Ok. You know I dropped my phone laughing as I finished the second sentence, right!?!
Not needed. Neither are Hummers, Lamborghini, Corvette, Ferrari, 90% of motor cycles,
Almost every boat ever made, chocolate. Chocolate is not needed. Neither is Pepsi or Coke. I’m American. 90% of the stuff I ever bought I didn’t need.
I want it. A ton of people want it. It’s the biggest miss GM has ever made in the non-car department. When there is multiple companies out there making them from an old truck and a wrecked truck- and a line out the door of people that just give up because the wait is too long... When there is people who would just go buy it because financing it is easy enough but cant scrape together $15,000-$30,000 to have one thats descent...

It’s just dumb! If my wife could drive a stock dmax, or one with a multi-tuner where she is getting some mpg a hair better for her just going back and forth to work- or when she is hauling around my sons and half the dang football team- Then I could use it to tow a bumper pull double axle camp trailer into the Sierra Nevada Mountains ...

The only reason I never did one is because i hate the electronics of it all. If I could have went and bought one at a dealership- I can’t say 100% I would bought one already because I never bought any car brand new. My wife and I both agree to that concept of let some one else take the hit. But after the wife drove an 05 dmax 3/4 ton- She went to the dealership to test drive one, and was already starting to justify us getting something brand new.

Is a 1,000 ft pound, 550 hp suburban the answer? Probably not. But tune one down to lly or lb7 numbers and they would sell.

Still not impressed.
Last, DEF. Am conflicted as to whether I want to breathe soot or ammonia. From what I am aware of, soot will settle out of the atmosphere without burning plant-life or corroding metal. But hey, this is all in the name of eliminating NOx, so all is good, right?
What I *really* want is for GM to bring back the 3/4 ton Burb that has all the same capabilities as the last 3/4 ton Burb!

I've heard some truckers have resorted to using their piss to replace that expensive fluid...

Ok. You know I dropped my phone laughing as I finished the second sentence, right!?!
Not needed. Neither are Hummers, Lamborghini, Corvette, Ferrari, 90% of motor cycles,
Almost every boat ever made, chocolate. Chocolate is not needed. Neither is Pepsi or Coke. I’m American. 90% of the stuff I ever bought I didn’t need.
I want it. A ton of people want it. It’s the biggest miss GM has ever made in the non-car department. When there is multiple companies out there making them from an old truck and a wrecked truck- and a line out the door of people that just give up because the wait is too long... When there is people who would just go buy it because financing it is easy enough but cant scrape together $15,000-$30,000 to have one thats descent...

It’s just dumb! If my wife could drive a stock dmax, or one with a multi-tuner where she is getting some mpg a hair better for her just going back and forth to work- or when she is hauling around my sons and half the dang football team- Then I could use it to tow a bumper pull double axle camp trailer into the Sierra Nevada Mountains ...

The only reason I never did one is because i hate the electronics of it all. If I could have went and bought one at a dealership- I can’t say 100% I would bought one already because I never bought any car brand new. My wife and I both agree to that concept of let some one else take the hit. But after the wife drove an 05 dmax 3/4 ton- She went to the dealership to test drive one, and was already starting to justify us getting something brand new.

Is a 1,000 ft pound, 550 hp suburban the answer? Probably not. But tune one down to lly or lb7 numbers and they would sell.
Are there still tax incentives for purchasing big guzzler vehicles?

I've heard some truckers have resorted to using their piss to replace that expensive fluid...

Would not surprise me a bit. This might be far fetched, but let's say the trucker runs a special hose from the cab to the DEF tank, he never has to stop and pee again..... :smuggrin:

I have heard of them running a pipe, hose, or line (whatever you want to call it) down through the floor that dumped the pee out onto the roadway.

Most logical thing is their peeing in a jug and then filling the DEF tank later.

Big question is? How smart is the DEF system as far as detecting low grade DEF. One would think pee would not pass the test.

When there is multiple companies out there making them from an old truck and a wrecked truck- and a line out the door of people that just give up because the wait is too long...

^^^^ THIS!!!

Were there not a demand, upfitters would not have a job.

Although I do agree with Ferm about the power aspect. After haven driven multiple gas and diesl motors (both v6 and v8) in the 390 - 420 ft / lb range with #8K on the hook, to include up / down 6% grades, big power is pure bling. The game changer is to not run with less than a 6 speed transmission automatic or 5 speed manual.

The only thing that GM has appeared to have done right with the new 'diesel' Burb is to install an exhaust brake as part of the OE configuration as I can say from experience that a small 6 banger is not going to easily hold back any load without some help.

Are there still tax incentives for purchasing big guzzler vehicles?

Bush and the big-oil family are currently not in power. Sorry.

Would not surprise me a bit. This might be far fetched, but let's say the trucker runs a special hose from the cab to the DEF tank, he never has to stop and pee again..... :smuggrin:

I have heard of them running a pipe, hose, or line (whatever you want to call it) down through the floor that dumped the pee out onto the roadway.

Most logical thing is their peeing in a jug and then filling the DEF tank later.

Big question is? How smart is the DEF system as far as detecting low grade DEF. One would think pee would not pass the test.
Lest, we forget the old cross country buses would incinerate the pee and excrement in the exhaust system...

Pee will not work. There is a DEF quality sensor that checks what's in the tank and then the nox sensors in the exhaust check the exhaust going out to see if the reduction is taking place in the exhaust emissions.

^^^^ THIS!!!

Were there not a demand, upfitters would not have a job.

Although I do agree with Ferm about the power aspect. After haven driven multiple gas and diesl motors (both v6 and v8) in the 390 - 420 ft / lb range with #8K on the hook, to include up / down 6% grades, big power is pure bling. The game changer is to not run with less than a 6 speed transmission automatic or 5 speed manual.

The only thing that GM has appeared to have done right with the new 'diesel' Burb is to install an exhaust brake as part of the OE configuration as I can say from experience that a small 6 banger is not going to easily hold back any load without some help.

Bush and the big-oil family are currently not in power. Sorry.
And you could count on 1 hand how many shops specialized in doing these swaps that are quite honestly easy as it is all plug & play. There are alot of people who say they want one, but won't follow through, and then there was the even smaller market of those who actually bought them. If there was truly enough demand to support GM building a 2500 Burb again, let alone one with the 6.6l Dmax in it, they would have built it. But GM cannot justify building a niche vehicle anymore that not even the aftermarket has much demand for.

And the exhaust brake is super easy with a vgt turbo. No equipment to add, just a switch, and a software update.

And you could count on 1 hand how many shops specialized in doing these swaps that are quite honestly easy as it is all plug & play. There are alot of people who say they want one, but won't follow through, and then there was the even smaller market of those who actually bought them. If there was truly enough demand to support GM building a 2500 Burb again, let alone one with the 6.6l Dmax in it, they would have built it. But GM cannot justify building a niche vehicle anymore that not even the aftermarket has much demand for.

And the exhaust brake is super easy with a vgt turbo. No equipment to add, just a switch, and a software update.
So they stopped the government 2500 HD Burbs?

I work for a company that builds the armored burbs the govment rides around in, we built the last of the 2019 model 1 ton burbs in the country, the govment had lods of them spec'd and built and stored back in 2019, those are now all built and we are told there will not be any more heavy ones ever...

Yeah because biden will just leave the gear behind for the enemy anyways, so why build them in the first place, hillary wont send in support to embassies so they don’t need them.
Once everyone keeps pushing to get biden to step down and he doesn’t and gets the johnson/kennedy treatment- then we can see if harris needs them anywhere.

When I co-owned the truck equipment shop where we built up armored rigs- bill was in and you can guess how that went.
Man I get tired of idiots.

most the suburbans we did were gassers with a supercharger. No 6.5 was gonna move that weight! Haha.

Back