• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Teff grass hay

Yeah, I had an old horse choke on Coastal Bermuda suppose to be horse quality square bales. I hadn't had his teeth floated like I should have and he couldn't chew the coastal Bermuda well enough. He got a tangle got caught in his throat. I knew his personality and he acted strange. He would paw to me when he wanted help or was hurting etc. So I called the vet. The Vet came out and figured it out. He reached in and pulled a long tangle of partially chewed Bermuda out of his throat. Floated his teeth and switched to senior feed and he lived another 12 years. Never fed him Bermuda again. Switched to Alfalfa cubes I soaked in water over night, Purina Senior, and pasture.

Well, we got 1 1/2" of rain yesterday afternoon over a couple of hrs... even if this planting doesn't pan out maybe it will come up enough for me to see how my spreading worked.... should know this weekend..

Yea, I've had bad times with coastal, they love it so much that they don't chew like they should and it wads up somewhere in the gut, decided it wasn't worth it, and besides I tend to have very high quality fescue hay as their my fields and my horses so I keep it weed free and probably put down a little more fertilizer than needed.... I'll see if I can get a pic or two...

Teff grass field planted Saturday, 1 1/2" rain Sunday, sunny & warm today.....

Land 2016 002.JPG
Land 2016 006.JPG

These are a few of my fescue fields, about 10" high now, spread triple 17 last week of Feb.
Working on clearing the trees off the terraces, we bought this 26ac next to us.. been working it for a few years ....

Land 2016 007.JPG
Land 2016 004.JPG

And how bout a salute to all past & present Vets !!!

Land 2016 009.JPG

13.50/bale?????

HOLY SMOKES!!
Yep, we get raped on good hay down here. Alfalfa isn't much better at $12-13 a 2 string square bale. I paid $38 for a 130# 3 string square bale of alfalfa back in January. Peanut hay is supposed to be even more.

Those are some nice Fescue fields! When its thick and lush its hard to beat Fescue around here. We built in an old cow pasture and it has patches of about everything. Parts of it look like woodlands camouflage right now.

Isn't the soil in parts of Oklahoma and middle part of the country partly red but its dirt isn't it. Does it stain everything orange like here, NC, and Ga?

I tell people all the time the guy that did the laundry at Clemson got to pick Clemson's uniform color.

Well a little update here....

I figured I was planting too soon but thought just maybe.... wrong.

It's been too cool here, the Teff is up but has stalled out, just too cool at night still.

I will plant again in a few weeks when the ground warms up some...

Isn't the soil in parts of Oklahoma and middle part of the country partly red but its dirt isn't it. Does it stain everything orange like here, NC, and Ga?

I tell people all the time the guy that did the laundry at Clemson got to pick Clemson's uniform color.

The soil in 90% of Oklahoma is red, hence the name Red Carpet State. Obviously some red soil is better than others.

I have fields with hard red clay, very poor soil.

Loamy red is a growing machine.

Sandy red isn't bad but its sand lol.

Our soil is only .5-1.5% organic matter which is what makes other soils dark or even black.

A lot of west Tx is pretty similar and I imagine west Ks

How is the field? A guy was telling me he wanted to plant some of it. Moxie Teff I think? Have you been lucky with rain showers? I have had a couple heavy showers lately that has helped but grass was dry crunchy late June.

have cut 2 times and it should have been cut this week, but they were calling for some passing storms all week... but we haven't had a drop... It has seed heads now, and they say rain again, I'll just let it sit till maybe it will get some rail this weekend then I'll cut it...

I really like it & horses do too.. it is so thick it has kept ALL weeds gone, I'll get some pics and post em up....

I plan to plant my horses pastures with it next summer as a kinda supplemental to the fescue... the teff hasn't wanted water it seems, it's thick & green....

Those fields Look good. Especially with limited rain we have had. I'll pass along your success. It'll be a while before he tries it. Yeah, scattered showers is only thing keeping grass alive. The other day drove thru 2 patches of rain inside of 15 miles and was dry everywhere else I went. Some areas are dry and brown that have nt gotten a shower. Lake hartwell loosing 1-3 inches a day from evaporation and hydro power for heavy a/c demand. thanks for the update

Just did first cutting Teff here. Planted mid May. Baled it today actually.

The guy I planted and baled for has another 1/2 section of teff that I didn't bale and it has 1500 400# calves on it gaining 3.5# per day and he ordered another 250 head because the grass is still belly deep.

Back