• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Teds Trucks n Stuff 6.5's

This is good news. The rusty cylinder story plus WarWagon's experience with the 6.2 and wrong pre-cups for a turbo application had me leery of the Ted's engines.

I got my 6.2 NA engines from Utah not Ted's. No one really knew about precup size for large turbo's at the time as the GM3 on 6.2 NA cups I ran before hid the problem.

So some member has to post up the explanation on Ted's mistake? :shiiiiiite: As I recall there was more than one 'mistake', and if I recall one resolution with a crack didn't turn out well. They never explained them on here.

Hopefully they learned real quick that they can't ship junk engines. Their reputation appears to be improving. However, I know how the customer must have felt with a bad engine from the relief I got when mine came to life without issues.

Their current ebay ad is plain ignorant.
"We do not recommend trying to make a complete 6.5 using 6.2 parts. Although a 6.5 will run with 6.2 parts, it will not run right and will not have the power of a normal 6.5."

Swap the precups or use 6.5 heads on the 6.2 bottom end and there is no difference. With a GMx turbo you will not notice a difference between a 6.2 longblock with NA precups and the blown 6.5 that came out of it. And this is at extended WOT pulling a trailer. Only difference even with a smaller plunger 6.2 IP vs the 6.5 IP was more exaust haze and 3MPH less at 65 MPH. Due to smaller IP and fuel settings no doubt as the GM3 turbo is the real limiting factor.

Only difference even with a smaller plunger 6.2 IP vs the 6.5 IP was more exaust haze and 3MPH less at 65 MPH. Due to smaller IP and fuel settings no doubt as the GM3 turbo is the real limiting factor.

Do you mean to say MPG?

I got my 6.2 NA engines from Utah not Ted's. No one really knew about precup size for large turbo's at the time as the GM3 on 6.2 NA cups I ran before hid the problem.

So some member has to post up the explanation on Ted's mistake? :shiiiiiite: As I recall there was more than one 'mistake', and if I recall one resolution with a crack didn't turn out well. They never explained them on here.

Hopefully they learned real quick that they can't ship junk engines. Their reputation appears to be improving. However, I know how the customer must have felt with a bad engine from the relief I got when mine came to life without issues.

Their current ebay ad is plain ignorant.
"We do not recommend trying to make a complete 6.5 using 6.2 parts. Although a 6.5 will run with 6.2 parts, it will not run right and will not have the power of a normal 6.5."

Swap the precups or use 6.5 heads on the 6.2 bottom end and there is no difference. With a GMx turbo you will not notice a difference between a 6.2 longblock with NA precups and the blown 6.5 that came out of it. And this is at extended WOT pulling a trailer. Only difference even with a smaller plunger 6.2 IP vs the 6.5 IP was more exaust haze and 3MPH less at 65 MPH. Due to smaller IP and fuel settings no doubt as the GM3 turbo is the real limiting factor.

Why buy the 6.2 when they're selling the GEP 6.5?

Big T, I think the main deal is alot less money. IIRC, last check, the teds engine was just shy of 3 grand, and I havent checked in a while, but I think the Boyce 6.2L is more around 1,000-1,500 bucks.

Exactly 3MPH slower around 65 MPH on a grade with a 24' cargo trailer. The 6.2 engine was $1200 to my doorstep. I had a replacement 6.2 engine, 6.5 injectors, new starter, ARP head studs, and gaskets dropped in myself for around $2k. I didn't change the IP as I did not want to mess with timing it. I know the fuel settings were lower. So it has a 6.2 IP, 6.2 heads, 6.2 bottom end. I really couldn't afford more for a 6.5 at the time. A better turbo got more MPH back and some MPG.

The MPG between the 6.5 and 6.2 loaded was the same at ~7MPG. (I really hate the GM3!)

Doing it over I would re-ring them and obtain 6.5 turbo precups.

The Optimizer idea is nice and perhaps the very best, but, the truck it went into just isn't worth that much ($4K tops) and was totaled 3 weeks later with 7000 miles on the engine. I bought it back... Point is a cheap 6.2 gets the job done.

If I had more money when I blew the engine I would have bought a used 96 Dodge diesel for $6K that was available at the time. It would have saved me money on fuel.

Back