• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TBI - sudden mpg drop

rlb

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what could be causing a sudden drop in the MPG of my truck. 94' TBI 5.7L 4x4 2500 suburban

About two weeks ago I noticed a hesitation/rough running right above idle throttle. This was preceded by a check engine light 44 - lean exhaust condition indicated. Two days later when I go to troubleshoot, the problem is gone, the truck is running great. No check engine light, no roughness.

It is still running fine, except the MPG has gone to hell. I filled up, drove 90 miles and burned 11 gallons. This was all highway at 65mph. I have measured 15mpg before on this trip!

Not sure exactly where to start. Less than 3000 miles ago I put new injectors in the throttle body, did 3 wire O2 sensor, couple other things and after that work it was getting a nice 15mpg!

Check all hoses esp the one going to the MAP. Suspect you need to replace the EGR valve with a AC Delco unit if you haven't already as these randomly flop wide open when failing as soon as the vacuum hits them just off idle. Electronic ones just stick open - no codes. Possible brake booster has a leak.

The TBI is s stupid simple system that mainly uses map and TPS to calculate load aka fuel need. Your TPS is a wear item so check it with a meter.

Also look at the fuel pump pressure and replace fuel filter. Note you replace the fuel pump relay with the pump period.

Thanks. I will check EGR first. I haven't touched it as I figured it would throw a code if it was bad. I have a service manual and will consult for a way to test the TPS and EGR.

Already checked all vacuum hoses carefully to make sure they are intact. Brake booster is hydro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video I took when it was running rough last week. It does not run rough like this anymore, note my original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back