• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tap shift 4l80E?

great white

Reaction score
Anyone ever explored it?

You would think it wouldn't be too hard of a project seeing how the trans is electronic.

I'm not talking about altering the PCM, just a set of switches that would allow you to simulate the shifter.

Low tech, but would be worth it's while when towing and easier to hit the gear than the vague shift lever on the column.

So, anyone ever look into it?

I would, but I don't think I'm gonna have time before I head out this summer....

I'm not sure how the ALLISON tap shifter works, but it may be a possibility. All you need is something to simulate the NSBU switch changing positions I would think to fool the CTM portion into thinking you moved the shift lever.

I'm not sure how the ALLISON tap shifter works, but it may be a possibility. All you need is something to simulate the NSBU switch changing positions I would think to fool the CTM portion into thinking you moved the shift lever.

That's what I'm thinking.

Just need to simulate the input into the PCM and it should shift as per.

No need for reprogramming or whatnot.

The main reason I'm after it is it's a PITA to get that bloody colum shift where I want it easily. I always seem to miss the gear I want or it's so vague feeling, I'm never sure how much pressure to put on it to move just the right amount.

A nice tap up/down would be sooo much nice when towing.

Only thing is, if you tap shift what does the PCm do if you then move the column shift?

I'm thinking a shuntof some sort for the controls might be nessesary (IE: tap shift on - column shift off)...

someone might need to buy a fleece tapshifter and do some reverse engineering

Nope, different principle IIRC.

Now, this is all from a "sketchy" memory, but the fleece is an interceptor unit between the PCM and the BCM. It's actually simulating the later Allison tap shifter controls for the PCM.

The 6.5 has no such thing running around in the innards.

This would be a simple removal of the shifter in the works and a "switch network" to simulate the shifter inputs.

The PCm would think, essentially, that you moved the gear lever....

Get ahold of Ben(duratothemax on most forums) and I believe his tap shifter will work. His first prototype I believe was just an interceptor of teh NSBU switch as I know he had mentioned problems with it not resetting when he went to N/P.

Back