• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tank baffle??

Samyguy

Reaction score
when my truck gets down to 1/4 tank or so, if I brake or step on it ,
the truck sucks air in the fuel line,from the fuel sloshing back and forth, and then dies

Do your trucks have a baffle so some thing to keep the pickup in fuel all the time??

I would suspect a hole rusted through the in tank pickup line that is letting the air in at that low fuel level before I would worry about baffles.

You might want to consider getting a new tank sending unit.

I do not mean the hoses outside the tank,I am trying to get you to check the suction tube inside the tank on the sending unit.

That line can get a pin hole even though it has spent most of it's life covered by the fuel.

If you have already eliminated that section of the line as a possible source for the leak then I suppose I am out of ideas for your problem, my tank does not have any baffles to answer your original question.

Another less likely place for air intrusion is the fuel manager.

The water in fuel sensor and fuel heater o-rings can get distorted over time and leak,but since this area is under pressure fuel normally leaks out.
However after shutdown fuel that leaks out can allow air to enter and cause a hard start-I know this is not the problem you are describing but if your fuel filter is dirty or the sock in the tank is getting plugged the IP may suck air from those locations also during your driving starvation problem.

I have never had a problem running under 1/4 tank but don't do it often. Or let it get too low. My fuel guage swings too bad and I don't trust fuel level indication under 1/4 tank. I try and fill up at 3/8 of tank or so. Missy Goodwrench use to comment on some bypass valve near the sock that can fail and suck air when tank is low. Might be part of sock?????

Have you been into the tank? Is the sock getting plugged up? Have read the Diesel sock on pickup is different than gasser. Diesel fuel foams worse when sloshed and have read one purpose of sock is help filter out the air. But some have taken it off and run a pre lift pump filter ok. None have reported air problems at low tank levels.

I bought a tank from 1Aautomotive (they are on fleabay and the net). That tank had a baffle. I would suck air at 1/4 tank. Figured it was a clogged sock, but inspection revealed that the tank had imploded from too much suction (gasser cap).

The tank from A1A was great. I have had zero problems.

X2 Make sure it is vented fuel cap that says diesel on it.

And what Racer55 said is good info on the FSU internal to the tank line could be cracked or hace hole.

so Chefmike, you say there is a baffle in your tank , I've had mine off,I have no tank baffle, that's how I know there is no rust, and all new diesel rated rubber lines. And installed a spin on prefilter for my FRB5 pump, still have the round canister 6.5 post filter. I do not have a tank sock, it was cracked so removed it , sucked air before that.
Who is running with no filter sock ,how is that working for you?? Does any one else know if they have or don't have a tank baffle ??

The tank I took out (it was a GM OEM, best I could tell) did NOT have a baffle in it for what it is worth. I read some do, some don't :dunno:

I am still running a sock, though it looked like a piece of crap. when I have problems, I will remove it, as I am planning to go with a racor/wix spin on before my walbro lift pump. :thumbsup:

30 micron I think. Check out the threads on walbro pumps recently. Burning oil has a setup that is pretty sweet for sale. I rigged mine, but plan on getting his mount when I need my filter.

Back