• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tablet vs laptop

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So i'm looking at getting either a tablet or a laptop. Don't know much about tablets, I have seen some that run windows and am wondering how much difference there would be between them and laptops. Any thoughts comments ideas appreciated

What's it going to be for, and what are you looking at spending? I have an Asus Laptop for the majority of my stuff, especially school work, etc. and a Nexus 7 tablet (7" screen) which is nice and portable, great for games and web surfing, etc. If it's just for web browsing, etc a tablet would serve you fine, but anything more serious a laptop is still your best bet. $600 can buy something nice in either category. The new Windows 8 is designed more for Tablets and it shows. It's a total revolution from Win Vista/7. The Android tablets and iPad are still kings of the Hill, with the ASUS Infinity Transformer Prime and iPad being the two biggest with the best specs. The Prime also can be expanded with a keyboard to be more like a laptop.

thanks for the info. not real sure just how I will be using it. Alot of what I want to use it for would be on a web based scenario. (not sure what that terminology is). but I would like to put a program on it that I would use to access info off of. Like the idea of a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard for size/portability

not for home building that's probably a lil higher tech than what I would be using it for. that link looks alot higher priced than what I can afford. I'm in the $4-500 range

Tablets allow you to use a pen for a mouse. For example I know this cartoon strip is drawn by hand (with the special pen) on a tablet PC.
http://coffee-poo.blogspot.com/

If you are not using a pen for that kind of use I can't see the need for one vs. the cheaper laptop.

I just bought laura an I-Pad off a fellow co-worker for a sick price. Its the 1st gen, so wifi only. But i only paid $150, online they go for $220-300. I was going to get her a nook (she want's it for book reading), but i couldn't pass this deal up, she will be able to read books on it and do internet stuff. Last year i also bought a laptop for school, a Lenovo. That was about $750. Guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Nope. If you want to run a windows-based program on a tablet, you'll need a surface tablet with Windows 8 on it.

What program, Les? Many programs have either cloud-based or tablet-specific ports.

I have 2 different tablets - a Blackberry Playbook - $150 .. (which I use for web-surfing, anything that requires flash, or for ebook reading, and have movies on it for travel), and an iPad 2.0, ($450) which I use for the same things (minus the flash, of course). I like them both, for different reasons. A friend has an ASUS Transformer, running Android, and it's pretty sweet, too.

On the other hand, I don't go ANYWHERE without a laptop, because there are just plain a lot of things I can't do with a tablet (or are painful to do with a tablet). I also have a tablet laptop with a touch-screen and pen, but I find that to be less utilitarian than I thought it was gonna be... the grandkids like it for their stuff, though, so that's something.

even if I told you the name of the program I'm sure you've never heard of it. It was developed by our church for a specific use. I've seen tablets with windows 7 would that work?

even if I told you the name of the program I'm sure you've never heard of it. It was developed by our church for a specific use. I've seen tablets with windows 7 would that work?

OK. If the tablet is running Win 7 then it might work; as long as the program runs on Win 7 on other machines. If it doesn't run on Win 7 on a desktop, it won't run on a tablet, either.

Last edited:
Is it a church visitation program? I use outreach from west coast baptist on mine. Be interested to know what you use.

no it's a record and financial program.

jifaire said:
OK. If the tablet is running Win 7 then it might work; as long as the program runs on Win 7 on other machines. If it doesn't run on Win 7 on a desktop, it won't run on a tablet, either.

I'll have to check

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't beat a laptop, they have USB ports and DVD drives plus you can buy one that function as a tablet or laptop...you get to choose.

I'm not of much help, but make sure if you go the tablket route it can handle your program. And keep in mind most tablets don't have USB ports and DVD ROM drives in them for loading programs and running programs. I know quite a few people have bought tablets thinking they could run windows based programs just to find out they are rather limited in what programs they can run.

If you get the Asua Transformer tablet with the keyboard attachment (we paid ~$500 for each of ours setup that way) you get a USB port and the tablet itself had an hdmi port. You can also stick SD cards in them to expand the memory. Unlike the bluetooth keyboards, the Asus one actually clips on, making it more like a netbook.

Back