• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

t-stat variants

there is a at least 3 different styles of t- stats for the 6.5 and 3 more for the 6.2.

6.5 has a the single tstat 92-95.5
6.5 single ( quick glance may resemble a double ) 95.5-97? can be rare..
6.5 double thermostat housing (97-2001)

6.2 84 - 90? goes with old school belt system
6.2 ( p - van - box truck ) inlet goes vertical
6.2 90-94 -- serpentine belt system.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 96 single is very rare. It was only made for a few months in 96. AK sold me his:)

My 96 has the single...January build date. 96 was a transition year so the later half of the builds got the duals.

I finally had some time to drive the truck around with some spare coolant and a bucket of water. Everything stayed put. I disliked the engineering that put the edge that locates the t-stat on the top part so I couldn't use gravity to hold it in place we during reassembly. Perhaps they expected me to put the truck on a spit. It does come up to temp in about one tenth the time and holds a steady 200 indicated at speed.

I was somewhat doubting on the mileage improvement potential. Color me wrong. 21 mpg and change. At this rate, it'll pay for itself before the next oil change.

I was somewhat doubting on the mileage improvement potential. Color me wrong. 21 mpg and change. At this rate, it'll pay for itself before the next oil change.

Yep. Up here, in winter, part of the mpg drop is the crappy winter fuel blend (to keep from gelling), the rest is lower operating temps. That's one reason why winter fronts are such a big deal for us.

Yep. Up here, in winter, part of the mpg drop is the crappy winter fuel blend (to keep from gelling), the rest is lower operating temps. That's one reason why winter fronts are such a big deal for us.

I'm stunned. But then, I need the cold. My AC is out AGAIN. The clutch isn't kicking in. I'm assuming low charge but I paid the GM nitwits to fix the system. Most of it is less than two years old. If I didn't need defog I'd delete the damn thing and shoot it with my wife's new Remington 700 SPS Tactical with an ACC suppressor and a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X50 scope. Of course, this has nothing to do with my thermostat - just looking for something positive.

Where did you take it? Northcut? I have words to descrbe that shop after they forgot the vasiline.

Took my 95 305 Z71 in for a fuel pump left with a new ignition system, fuel pump, ecm, and rebuilt throttle body. Cost more than the truck was worth.

Awesome dude!!! (In my best little girl voice from Full House:hihi:). Thanks for the update.

21.5 mpg out of this tank. More fun to fuel today as my neighbor's domestic help backed into my truck crushing the bed forward of the left rear tire. No note. Nothing.

Is the 1996 dual stat housing noticeably different from the 1996 single stat housing?

I need new thermostats for the 96 Suburban unless it would happen to be the rare single stat.

I am assuming Ac Delco or GM is still the way to go?

Still have a bit of weaping at the thermostat. I think I over-torqued it. I'll get a new gasket, some sealant, pick up a new gasket scraper and surface it if necessary with some fine sandpaper and take another whack at it. I'm not surprised it wants to leak. My last attempt was a rush job.

Back