• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

t-stat variants

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
I noticed after I purchased a 195 unit from Kennedy that it was listed for single stat units 97 and up and mine's a 94. Will it not fit? I wasn't aware there was a difference.

Do these part numbers from Rockauto look more appropriate:

ACDELCO Part # 2512056 More Info {#12551591}
GASKET,WAT OTLT

ACDELCO Part # 13191 {#12559338} OE Temperature One of our most popular parts
THERMOSTAT,Engine COOL 190 DEG, DUAL SPRING TYPE

The dual t-stat does not fit the single t-stat.

They are different size housing cavity. That is all I read and see from pictures in the forum.

You cannot use the dual t-stat in single and thinking it will be an upgrade.

All his t-stats say they are for dual t-stat housings, so looks like you got the wrong one. The single stats have a bypass blocker on the bottom of them whereas the dual does not.

T-stat gasket for single t-stat housing is available at OReilly or any part store.

I got one at OReilly for like 99 cents, it is a peel and stick type.

Not worth paying the shipping on a 99 cents item usually.

Invoice sent. Thank you!

FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. Had someone use it on me, I was like WTF is that! :hihi: Don't ask me what WTF is!

I'm at work and don't have access to the mail address I gave you but I'll get on it when I get home tonight. Thanks for the support. Oh, and I don't have a FLAPS...just an Annoying Parts-Equivalent Store (APES) with their crappy off-brand stuff and condecending attitude.

Paid via pay pal. Leroy, I dig you. It annoys me that I contacted Kennedy about an hour after I made the order and got no response. It'll probably still show up. Can I mail it to you gratis?

I'm at work and don't have access to the mail address I gave you but I'll get on it when I get home tonight. Thanks for the support. Oh, and I don't have a FLAPS...just an Annoying Parts-Equivalent Store (APES) with their crappy off-brand stuff and condecending attitude.

I've got a couple. PM me and I'll mail one to you tomorrow.

I love this place. Good job, guys.

Dan, if you get one that has a shorter bypass-block, it won't work worth a darn.

Funny though; John usually gets that stuff right. Maybe it's just too old.

94-95 OEM single stats are hard to find, and if you get the wrong one, you have issues waiting to find you..

Last edited:
I love this place. Good job, guys.

Dan, if you get one that has a shorter bypass-block, it won't work worth a darn.

Funny though; John usually gets that stuff right. Maybe it's just too old.

94-95 OEM single stats are hard to find, and if you get the wrong one, you have issues waiting to find you..

And don't forget most aftermarket ones for the 95- trucks have the wrong spring on the bypass which causes the stat to not go fully open and creates issues there. I remember years back somebody took a AC stat and one from most any parts store and compared them, and the differences were shocking. I remember the OEM stat having 1.5-2 PSI of pressure on the bypass spring while the aftermarket had over 10. And then the differences in the bypass height. Ask 7.3L power stroke owners from 94-97 what happened when they put an international t-stat into there engine in a FORD truck. Many an engine overheated because of the bypass being the wrong height which caused a lack of coolant flow to the rear cylinders. This lack of flow caused the gauge to read normal while the back cylinders cooked.

Got you payment thank you. Will mail today.
FWIW Ive been running the same Tstat in my truck for years with no problem and a little MPG increase too.

Today was the last day the old t-stat went to work...lazily. It took 1/2 hour at 70 mph for the truck to get to temp. Tomorrow is a new day.

Today was the last day the old t-stat went to work...lazily. It took 1/2 hour at 70 mph for the truck to get to temp. Tomorrow is a new day with a new t-stat.

Back