• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Suspect bad head gasket in my work truck... ideas and thoughts welcomed

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
Here's my problem in short:

The work truck (only work truck) started to have a temperature issue at stop lights. The heater would stop working when stopped at low idle, but be fine on the road. I thought that was a little strange, so looked into it further. I didn't start the engine, but opened the radiator cap and I had air pressure in the tank. Not good I thought. Talked to a local guy who has done a lot of diesel work in the area who actually worked on this van before I got it. He told me that it was nothing to worry about, if it's not smoking, you're okay, it's a 14:1 engine anyway. At that point, I think I wrote off the rest of that conversation as he added his commentary about his dislike for the 6.5.

Yesterday I had temperature fluctuations while going down the roadway. This told me that I must be getting air bubbles in the thermostat housing and unable to get the flow through the coolant system. I got to the job site and popped the hood. The air was now coming out of the overflow hose at a steady rate. So, I let the pressure off of the system, and did my work. On start up and idle before leaving, now I had smoke and burnt coolant smell. So, I limped it home very carefully, parked it in the drive way and relieved the coolant pressure on shut down so no coolant might push it's way back in the cylinder.

So, diesel friends, here's the $64,000 question:

I like my 6.5. You've known I've liked this for a long time, so I'm not ready to through it under the bus yet. Everything else seems to be tight and right. I've put 14,000 miles on it since I've gotten it, and no other problems.

This is my grand question: This is a business vehicle. My only business vehicle and it's not only costing money to repair, but it's lost revenue to boot, because I'm backed up with work. This isn't a "let's have fun rebuilding it" play toy, it's a get the job done vehicle. So, I have a business decision to make here. I've either got to fix this and get it on the road or find another rig. I can get this fixed (by someone other than myself) but I want to make sure I know about all the "What-if's" before throwing money at something and then finding it needs more (increasing down time, lost revenue and expense.)

I know you guys are gonna tell me to tear everything apart and fix it even if the crank broke on it. I just need some input on if you were in my shoes what other things to consider on these. Like checking the webbing on the bottom end etc. I was considering injection pump age etc too. At 147k on the clock, I don't want to start playing around under the hood a lot. I need to get in and go at all hours of the day and night. I don't want to go through a whole lot to find she's scrap yard material in the end. I think she's got good life still, but I like to bounce this off others first before making decisions that end up having a lot of dollar signs attached to them.

Thanks for your input!

Well, you have either a blown head gasket, or a cracked head or a crack in a bore ..... not a quick fix at all, and if ou have someone else fix it, not cheap either.... you can check what side of the block has the trouble by --- remove the vbelt, remove the t-stats, crank the motor, look inside the water crossover and see what side the bubbles come from, that will tell you what side of the block has the trouble.

As for the cost vs purchasing something else, well you will figure that out... The mechanic you took it to before doesn't like the motors so I would find another if it was me.... if a mechanic thinks these motors are 14:1, then he doesn't know these motors at all does he ???

Also.... there is the chance that the repair cost could be so high and time consuming that another truck might be the best choice to make, and if you have been on this forum for anytime you know that once things start to go other things can follow with these motors....

If it's the 01 in your sig, it's a crap shoot wether you got one of the worst blocks GM ever put out, or one of the early international castings. The van hummer engines seemed to have the most problems with the cylinders cracking on #8, so keep that in mind going into this. Unfortunately you won't know if it's a cheap head gasket or an engine job until you get the heads off.

If it was me i would buy a second 6.5 truck to get me to work,that gives one time to fix the first one.
It don't hurt to have a standby vehicle.

Plenty new(er) vehicles are sitting in dealerlots awaiting warranty repair

At least you get a warranty and lemon law protection.

Again a 2nd vehicle is called for or you will need a good rental account to rent vans, trucks or whatever you need for that day's job.

Van's are NOT fun to work on. However you are in the major engine repair territory - not going to be cheap labor.

The second vehicle is underway right now (Suburban 6.5 w/trailer in tow) I'm not totally down, just lost productivity without having all my tools and stock. I can get out, but it's a real pain.

Ferm, how can you identify the block? Where are the casting numbers, and which ones indicate best and worst?

Thanks guys for all this good info!

So, I have opted to replace and get on the road now with an Isuzu NPR...

so now I can actually find the things I carry with me, instead of
-owning them on in the van,
-have them go to the bottom of the pile and
-having to buy a second one at the supply house 'cause I can't find mine.

Don't fret, 6.5 Suburban still in the driveway. So, I want to put up the van for adoption to a good home if anyone is interested.

Back