• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Suburban Shoe Size

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody here knows the shoe size in the 95 Suburban K2500?
I checked RockAuto, it seems that there are 2 sizes: 13x2-1/2" or 13x3-1/2".
I am leaning towards the wider one?

If you have a Suburban with the 14 bolt full float axle, it should be the 13x3.5" shoes. The 13x2.5" shoes were used on the 14 bolt semi float axles and 14 bolt full float axles with the drums that went on behind the hub(suburbans go over the hub).

Suburbans and most 3500 srw trucks use the A type which is on the right, that style hub used 3.5" wide shoes. The B type on the left has the drum installed to the hub via the wheel studs and uses the 2.5" wide shoes typically found in 2500 trucks.
brawler_hub4_small.jpg
brawler_hub3_small.jpg

Here is the verdict:

It actually has 3.5" Shoe size and 1-1/8" Dia Bore Wheel Cylinder from 1974 truck (weird).
I actually bought the one spec for this truck (1-1/16" Dia) which probably will work but I ended up buying the same size as the one in there.

I opened it up and the shoe was still fairly thick so I just changed the Wheel Cylinder and clean the drum and shoe.
I had to slide the axle out after removing all the bolts.
Remove a clip, a key and then the spindle axle nut before the drum can slide out.

Got the job done, took me a span of 3 days (around 3-4 hours per day) by myself.
Day 1 was basically running around finding/buying the correct tool and parts after opening one of the wheel.
Day 2 was finishing the 1st wheel and finishing the 2nd wheel and put it back together.
Day 3 was bled the brakes and filled up the differential, cleaned up, changed the oil while at it.

The most demanding was lifting the 60lbs drum to reinstall.
The axle needs a lot of wiggling to fit back in.

FWIW, if the shoes did not seem like they got much wear for the mileage, probably time to look into the 1 ton's proportioning valve and wheel cylinder. There is a thread somewhere on which parts to get.

After I modified the brake system to the 1 ton setup, I could actually feel the rears engage. Also had an issue where one wheel would lock at low speeds with brakes applied (usually when there was high humidity or rain) and this went away after the 1 ton mod.

There is a 1-3/16" wheel cylinder which was also used by the 1 ton but I am unsure if the brake lines thread will fit.

Mine has the 1-1/8" wheel cylinder so I replace it with the same one.
The stock according to the part store is 1-1/16" wheel cylinder.

FWIW, if the shoes did not seem like they got much wear for the mileage, probably time to look into the 1 ton's proportioning valve and wheel cylinder. There is a thread somewhere on which parts to get.

I.ve been looking for that thread and haven't found it yet.... maybe someone has it bookmarked...

is this what your looking for?

maybe one of these will help

I wish I had seen the third thread listed above:

Back