• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stump surprise

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Doing som pasture mowing a few days ago in some tall grasses when I found one of those recent stumps the hard way... Drove right up on it and mashed the pan. Got pretty noisy right away and I shut it down after hearing the reciprocating assembly complaining about the sudden lack of clearance. Son and I got it dragged off with the Duramax and towed up behind the barn. I ordered a new pan right away and went to change it today. Found another issue... Knocked the oil pump off it's mounting flange. I got lucky though, no other damage except where a counterweight was hitting the pump but no sign of rod or bolt damage.

20180611_153900.jpg 20180611_153952.jpg 20180611_154014.jpg

Last edited:
There actually is a skid plate in front of it and the loader frame. They were perfect height to skid right up on the stump. Been mowing that woods for 32 years. Just cut that particular tree down a couple months ago...

Doing som pasture mowing a few days ago in some tall grasses when I found one of those recent stumps the hard way... Drove right up on it and mashed the pan. Got pretty noisy right away and I shut it down after hearing the reciprocating assembly complaining about the sudden lack of clearance. Son and I got it dragged off with the Duramax and towed up behind the barn. I ordered a new pan right away and went to change it today. Found another isdue... Knocked the oil pump off it's mounting flange. I got lucky though, no other damage except where a counterweight was hitting the pump but no sign of rod or bolt damage.

View attachment 53032 View attachment 53033 View attachment 53034

It can happen very fast. My Brother In Law comes cruising up my drive way up on my ridge today, he had the bush hog on his 4 wheel drive Kubota Tractor. He said before I take this bush hog off you have anything you want me to bush hog. Heck I was kind of hesitant at first, he turned that tractor over last year on our farm and this ground up here will kill you in a hurry, its so steep. There are just two places that I dare to go up and down on my ATV, the rest is off limits, sorry I guess I am a whoosh or just cautious.

I told him to just make two passes up the ridge to the top of the property line and that would be all. I also told him about a locust stump that I knew about. He went up the ridge It sounded like he was tearing the place apart, hitting old dead limbs and some rocks. He made about 5 passes on the ridge before it started getting real steep, he said he had not built back up his nerves since the roll over last year. Its so hard to see stumps and obstacles right now he had a great idea of waiting till fall to do more bush hogging on it, when the weeds die down some. Hit a big rock on the hillside and its another roll over for sure.

Back