• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stuck in 2nd gear

Krivera12

Reaction score
I have a 1994 RV that has a 4L80E transmission and 6.5 chevy turbo diesel engine. The issue im having is that if its driven cold it shifts perfectly. Once it warms up to normal running temps it stays stuck on 2nd gear. I have replaced fluid and filter, solenoids, speed sensors, and pressure switch. With no luck. I disconnected the TCM and cleaned out plugs and plugged back in and test drove it at normal running temperature and shifted beautiful. Tried to test drive it the next day and it had a delayed and hard shift into 2nd gear and stuck again. Any ideas?

I have a 1994 RV that has a 4L80E transmission and 6.5 chevy turbo diesel engine. The issue im having is that if its driven cold it shifts perfectly. Once it warms up to normal running temps it stays stuck on 2nd gear. I have replaced fluid and filter, solenoids, speed sensors, and pressure switch. With no luck. I disconnected the TCM and cleaned out plugs and plugged back in and test drove it at normal running temperature and shifted beautiful. Tried to test drive it the next day and it had a delayed and hard shift into 2nd gear and stuck again. Any ideas?

Is the delayed start worse in reverse? That’s your test for a failing pump as reverse requires more pressure to engage the friction plates. It’s worse when cold.

Just replaced my 4L80e due to this issue, though I did have all gears working.

No. Reverse its fine and when u start driving does first with no problem shifts into second kind of hard and stays stuck on there. But if i drive it when its cold(not fully normal running temp) shifts fine. once at normal running temp its when it gets stuck on second

Welcome. The 2nd gear thing is called 2nd gear limp mode- it is a safety default so you can still drive the rig and “limp” it home or to the shop.

So what injection pump do you have?
If db2, I have had a bad tps or one out of adjustment cause fits.
I also had it happen when I replaced the transmission filter and the wiring inside got pinched.

Welcome. The 2nd gear thing is called 2nd gear limp mode- it is a safety default so you can still drive the rig and “limp” it home or to the shop.

So what injection pump do you have?
If db2, I have had a bad tps or one out of adjustment cause fits.
I also had it happen when I replaced the transmission filter and the wiring inside got pinched.
Not sure on what injection pump but will check to see.

Back