• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

stored 06 lbz

tammlyn

Reaction score
for the first time i put my truck away for the winter,it was stored in a heated garage for about 5 months,i have not started it once,what would you guys suggest,should i open bleeder so it will let me roll it over in order to build oil pressure after sitting so long,it does have rotella 5w40 synthetic in it thanks mike

Bleeder for fuel line won’t help Anything from it sitting.
If you have the switch to prime the filter -use it- or a jumper wire to the lift pump to fully prime the fuel system could maybe help.
Make sure batteries are fully charged.

Sitting a long time can be hard on engines because the oil has had plenty of time to weep out of the bearings. So you will be starting a very dry engine. Priming the oilpump would be great, but really hard task.
I suggest if you plan on doing this annually- invest in a preoiler mounted in the truck. You could wire the solenoid to the glow plug controller so it activates when glows are on. This charges the entire shstem with oil up to full oil pressure before starting every time. That is a good engine life extender, but especially for rigs people let sit undriven for a month or more.

I have a 2 gal. air tank I made into an oiler for filling gear cases. It has a tube that is 1/4" off the bottom going to the top. I use air pressure to force the oil out a hose to fill rear ends or gear boxes. I flushed it out and put engine oil in it and connected it to an oil galley port and filled the pan under pressure on an engine that sat for two years.

Thats a good method. Same thing to do for new engine- prime like that, then fire.
But imagine a smaller one living in the truck- they pay for themselves in bearing and metal wear. Especially if you “find” a canister for free. Then just a solenoid valve, timer, and a custom hydraulic hose made.

I need a super thick walled one for my hummer incase it eats something offroading... haha

I would probably just disconnect the glow plug control and crank it for a few seconds before reconnecting and fire it up. It hasn't been sitting in harsh conditions. I would be more worried about cylinder walls than bearings. You could pull the GPs and squirt WD40 in there ahead of time.

Back