• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

stop and go clunk

well. I cant seem to hold onto my money long enough to save up for the SC stage IV and Mike L shaft. But Im slowly getting there. Just bought a Transgo JR. five minutes ago from mat@champion, and a deep pan and co-pilot is on the list so I can keep it from limping and maybe milk these clutches out until winter when I can throw in the Stage IV.

Money has always burnt a hole in my pocket...I feel your pain

When I'm coming to a stop and the weight is transferred to the front and then when I am completely stopped and the weight shifts back to rear there is a clunk sound and I swear I can feel the truck move a little bit. There is also a slight delay from a dead stop when I give it some fuel it feels like there is a clunk of some sort. Whats wrong?
Did you find the problem yet? My guess is the oil is all gone from the transfer case. It causes the drive shaft to not slide on the spline like it should. Mine was doing it real bad before I found the hole in the transfer case. I put JB weld on the hole and refilled it with oil and the clunking went away.

well. I cant seem to hold onto my money long enough to save up for the SC stage IV and Mike L shaft. But Im slowly getting there. Just bought a Transgo JR. five minutes ago from mat@champion, and a deep pan and co-pilot is on the list so I can keep it from limping and maybe milk these clutches out until winter when I can throw in the Stage IV.

You need to put it back to stock then pray for it to last. At this point I think it is a waste to add the transgo Jr and the co pilot your trans is hosed and nothing other than an overhaul will help at this point:rolleyes:

You may want to try putting some grease on the slip yoke(output shaft). Mine did what you described and a little spline grease fixed it.

You may want to try putting some grease on the slip yoke(output shaft). Mine did what you described and a little spline grease fixed it.

I've heard of this. Maybe i'll do that while im changing my diff oil..:D

What RCH said. If the U joints have not been replaced in a while it would be a good time to change them and grease the splines on the slip yoke...alot, while it is apart. My 01 1500 would feel like someone hit the rear end it would clunk so hard on takeoff or stopping hard. The output shaft sticks and then breaks free. Mine just started to do it also and will be getting greased this weekend along with a fresh change of transynd. The GM's do have alot of factory drive line slack though, so it is hard to find a bad U joint without actually disassembling them so if they are questionable, you just as soon change them.

First post on this forum.... sweet...

Sound to me like the output shaft (slip yoke) needs a little lube. Drop the shaft, remove the output shaft from the tranny and grease her up. Some people have been known to stuck a valve spring in from of the yoke to keep some pressure on it and prevent the clunk. I would not recommend it though.

Alternatively, you can go to the dealer and have it done.. Just ask for the 'poop chute' service :pound:

-JP

Did you find the problem yet? My guess is the oil is all gone from the transfer case. It causes the drive shaft to not slide on the spline like it should. Mine was doing it real bad before I found the hole in the transfer case. I put JB weld on the hole and refilled it with oil and the clunking went away.

From what I understand, the splines are sealed from the T-case lube, so they are only lubed externally with grease by removing the slip-yoke.
I have the 3 qts of 5W30 synthetic motor in my T-case, and I'm starting to feel the clunk again sometimes. I plan to lube mine soon when I install the MA Pump-Rub upgrade.

Back