• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

stop and go clunk

greatwhitecracker

Reaction score
When I'm coming to a stop and the weight is transferred to the front and then when I am completely stopped and the weight shifts back to rear there is a clunk sound and I swear I can feel the truck move a little bit. There is also a slight delay from a dead stop when I give it some fuel it feels like there is a clunk of some sort. Whats wrong?

I've had the "clunk" since I bought it... and changed the spin-on twice since then. Could it be something like u-joints or related items? I am for the most part mechanically challenged so go easy on me:confused: Oh, I usually do know enough to really fcuk things up though!

does it feel like you give it gas but then it feels like its in between gears then it clunks and moves forward

I'm gonna go for a drive shortly and I'll come back with a good description for you. If it were the tranny would it do it at a stop also, referring to the way the truck noses down while braking and when reaching a complete stop the truck settles back down in the rear with a slight ?clunk? accounting for the very last bit of movement.

OOH! I just had an idea. If I shift into neutral while coming to a stop and it still makes a clunk at the very end wont that cross out the tranny for a problem?

Contrary to popular belief its normal. Its just the slop in the driveline. They come from the factory with it.

If it seems a little worse than it should be replace the U-Joints.

When the tranny slips you feel no clunking, you just watch the tach go up and the speedo stay the same. And then you feel the truck slam you into 4h and you drive home with the CEL on and only 4th gear.

Ive started a tally in my truck of how many times Ive been in limp mode. Im up to 19 times since I bought it June 1 of last year.

Playing racer car driver with a huge tune in 5th gear. Now I cancel 5th and since the motor fuels up to 4500RPM in big tunes, I can do well over 100 in 4th.

im still glad my tranny is holding up i run the ppe 160 tune and the 225 tune with the transgo jr. it shifts perfect with 48k on it, and no limps its a matter of time though :boom: i try and be easy on it

The downside is that every time you limp it, it is prone to limping again due to the glazing of the clutches, which is why mine does it so much.

I think im gonna be al cheapo and add a co-pilot, deep pan and transgo Jr. to beat the hell out of my stock clutches and then next winter put in a Suncoast stage IV, because Im poor.

We're all poor when we pay that much for a truck, then turn right around and want to drop 5K more in it for mods..:D

I've got around $3500 in the truck mod fund, just don't know if the tranny should come first, or the lift, wheels, and tires..:pop2:

well. I limped it again yesterday, but this time I limped it in 4th gear. Thats a first for me.

Something tells me thats not good and I really need to do something about. it.

well. I cant seem to hold onto my money long enough to save up for the SC stage IV and Mike L shaft. But Im slowly getting there. Just bought a Transgo JR. five minutes ago from mat@champion, and a deep pan and co-pilot is on the list so I can keep it from limping and maybe milk these clutches out until winter when I can throw in the Stage IV.

Back