• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering wheel locking while ignition on

Big T

Reaction score
i changed out the turn signal switch on my son’s ‘94 K2500 Suburban. Had problems getting it back together. Broke the horn/signal return cam. Got a replacement at NAPA and got it back together, but now the wheel is locking while the ignition is on on.

Is there something on the ignition lock that is supposed to actuate the pin that locks the wheel?

If I remember right there's like a rack and pinion deal in there with a spring loaded button that pops into a notched plate that is splined to the main column steering shaft. Maybe you got it a tooth off.

I ave never had a problem when replacing TS switch or lock cylinders in a GM column, I`ve done a few of them over the years.
I did do a Ford column a short while back, instructions said to remove complete column assembly from the truck, I did, then after getting it apart was wondering why they should give bad information like that, typical ford thing. Column was completely serviceable installed in the cab. The actuator gear rod for the start/ignition switch had busted inside of the housing. Must be a common thing to the fords, local NAPA had three in stock. LOL

Think I found the problem. The lock pin is moving in and out with the key. However, a tab on the retainer for the lock plate was bent askew and obviously grinding (see pic). Now I just need to find similar so I can bend it pack to proper position.

Attachments

• FC544B3D-57C7-477B-9163-FD04BD1521F7.jpeg
    FC544B3D-57C7-477B-9163-FD04BD1521F7.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 7
Well, he just admits it. And more so did it while putting a roof over his head. I on the other hand blew up dozens in the name of fun- of course I didn’t have to pay for them, just turn back in the broken parts.

It is one thing to break trucks using them as one of daily transportation to work. Another thing as one of the tools to work, say on the farm. But to tow all the live long day- that much weight, in those conditions- and have to make it profitable-yeah. Most of the fleet 6.5s don’t get near what he had to do. Carnage is an earned badge for him and should be worn proudly.

Least I can serve as a Bad Example. :cigar: Regardless Patch did earn all it's parts working hard under extreme conditions and the IRS :finger: during an audit of parts write offs was forced to admit the same. These extreme conditions also brought Cumapart and Duramax pickups to their knees as we did take over after a Dodge owner couldn't afford a $1,000.00 repair.

Patch was like an alcoholic owing a bar delivering auto parts via a cargo trailer all over AZ: there was usually a part on the trailer for Patch. End of the day it got us through The Great Depression V 2.0 and helped us move as the Fing 'problem to big to fail' banks took some of the roofs over our head including ones that were rented as the landlords also went under.

Those were some pretty rough times. I am NOT kidding about using Red threadlocker on the ARP studs because we couldn't afford a bottle of Blue when we were shoving an engine in it.

There are a few others who posted on here hauling for a living and they also went through engines, including a duramax swap engine, like candy. :eek: Same Carnage badge.

Can you say that I do take the EGT warning from the Moose pump as a personal challenge? :woot: Somewhere on my bucket of bolts list there is "Melt 6.5/6.2 down from EGT alone"... @Will L. is that even possible on just diesel?

Yeah, it’s possible. Not probable. Usually all the BTUs overheat the engine via ect. The high volume actually burning the fuel is the hard part to do it.

Get a big IP from Conestoga or Midland that pumps a tanker load of fuel, and most engines would just turn into a freight train smoke show. Now add a turbo to supply enough air and you are closer. NOS could do it. Converting all that fuel to fire, then hold it there long enough.

Think about an oxy/acc cutting torch cutting a sheet of steel. Put the flame on the metal too close or too far away instead of exactly the tip of the flame, and you can be there for an hour to heat up a small piece to red hot. Yet get it positioned just perfect and it heats up in a moment to red hot. Now open the oxygen valve with your thumb and it cuts right through. Now if you move the tip to fast is stops cutting instantly and if you go too slow you get a ton of slag.
So there is a window of optimum destruction. And the more oxygen available (NOS) the faster the melt down occurs.

Now- bigger turbo- so a gm8 vs ATT- why is gm at more risk? Imagine that torch and in 1 second within the flame touching the metal you open the oxygen valve. You will not cut the metal. The high volume is literally blowing away the heat faster than it can be absorbed into the metal. You are heating the metal, so if you keep it there long enough it may get hot enough eventually, if your tanks don’t empty first.

So run a mega IP with a ATT and your 1550 egt might get hotter? Either way, say you keep the 1550 you ran. Hold it that hot for long enough and it will melt the valve faces. It might take 1,500 or 15,000 hours non stop, but the math says eventually it would. If someone cared enough they could actually do the math and determine exactly how long. Anyone really bored? Maybe after Big T gets the horns swapped- he is good with numbers!

Least I can serve as a Bad Example. :cigar: Regardless Patch did earn all it's parts working hard under extreme conditions and the IRS :finger: during an audit of parts write offs was forced to admit the same. These extreme conditions also brought Cumapart and Duramax pickups to their knees as we did take over after a Dodge owner couldn't afford a $1,000.00 repair.

Patch was like an alcoholic owing a bar delivering auto parts via a cargo trailer all over AZ: there was usually a part on the trailer for Patch. End of the day it got us through The Great Depression V 2.0 and helped us move as the Fing 'problem to big to fail' banks took some of the roofs over our head including ones that were rented as the landlords also went under.

Those were some pretty rough times. I am NOT kidding about using Red threadlocker on the ARP studs because we couldn't afford a bottle of Blue when we were shoving an engine in it.

There are a few others who posted on here hauling for a living and they also went through engines, including a duramax swap engine, like candy. :eek: Same Carnage badge.

Can you say that I do take the EGT warning from the Moose pump as a personal challenge? :woot: Somewhere on my bucket of bolts list there is "Melt 6.5/6.2 down from EGT alone"... @Will L. is that even possible on just diesel?
Yeah Man, I have read some of Your stories, that is mighty impressive what You have put that old girl through, and still banging out the miles.

Back