• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering gear

Considering what I paid for my agr that didn't last 50k miles, and now my redhead has gotten sloppy after only 15k miles, I could have bought one of these to begin with if it had been around.
What are you doing to tear up steering gear boxes so quickly? It took over 200K miles for the factory box on my 98 K2500 Burb to need replacement.

What are you doing to tear up steering gear boxes so quickly? It took over 200K miles for the factory box on my 98 K2500 Burb to need replacement.
I'm really not that hard on it(98% of the time). I don't turn the wheels sitting still, I run synthetic fluid, no offroading, the only abuse is I do get on it every now and again in 4x4. I added about 300-350 lvs on the steer axle with my swap, but that shouldn't have done it. I know there are alot of reviews on the agr box doing exactly what mine did on the Dodge boards, but I'm really disappointed in the redhead. But theres alot of people here lately saying they had the same problems with there redhead. A former employee of redhead got tired of them and opened up blue top steering boxes, and everybody is saying his stuff is what redhead used to be.

I'm not hard on the Burb and had gone through a few steering boxes while it was still warranted and perhaps three times the VOV system acted up so bad the Burb was down right scary to drive wandering wherever it wanted.

I installed the hydro-winch and removed the VOV, going on my 5th box replacement since new.....so it will be the pricey 6 bolt cap one soon and I suspect that will finally fix the issue.

Back