• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steering Center link

saturntech95

Reaction score
I know its suspension but I figure I'd get more input over here.

OK I got a little foolish the other day and was having a little truck pull competition with some buddies of mine. Needless to say I did a little damage... I ripped one of my upper control arm bushings out (no big deal easy fix) but I also bent my steering center link. 4LO on dry pavement strapped to a F250 7.3dsl is a bad idea... Now what I was wondering is if anyone knows where I can get a upgraded center link. I know for the NBS diesels a couple companies sell a "straight" one that is thicker and less prone to bending. Any thoughts?

BTW it is on my 1996 K2500 Suburban 6.5dsl running a mostly cranked torsion bar setup and 33x12.5's. Also has MOOG inner and outer tie rods with Edelbrock HD tie rod sleaves.

OH and if your curious on the outcome.... I lost... It was a 02 F250 ECSB 7.3 Auto with a 5" exhaust, CAI, Edge programer and a shift kit. But in my defence he also pulled my buddys 06 Dmax ECSB auto with a banks intake, banks exhaust, and BD programer.

Not certain about "Up Graded" but I replaced mine along with everything else on either side of it with a NAPA unit. Have fun with the pitman.

Ya I know I did the pitman in my friends truck... Needless to say i did every wearable part in the front of my truck except for that.

No one huh... Ok here is another couple questions,

1. Are the center link the same on the 1500, 2500 and 3500?
2. I plan on having one custom built, would there be any interest in more for other people?

Im thinking like a whole HD front end kit like the Dmax people can buy. New custom center link, Moog inner and outers, edelbrock sleves and outer tie rod flip. I'm pretty shure that will be as sturdy if not more than Dmax's are.

Ya I know I did the pitman in my friends truck... Needless to say i did every wearable part in the front of my truck except for that.

No one huh... Ok here is another couple questions,

1. Are the center link the same on the 1500, 2500 and 3500?
2. I plan on having one custom built, would there be any interest in more for other people?

Im thinking like a whole HD front end kit like the Dmax people can buy. New custom center link, Moog inner and outers, edelbrock sleves and outer tie rod flip. I'm pretty shure that will be as sturdy if not more than Dmax's are.

Our front ends are stronger already. They use a strait center link which puts less stress on the idler and pitman arms.
I would skip the outer tie rod flip. In stock form it follows the arch of the lower control arm as they are about the same length. Moving it up will cause the tires to toe out as the suspension compresses. This may cause bump steer.

Not in my truck, right now the tie rods are at a steeper angle than the control arms and it bumpsteers like crazy. If I flip it it will be perfect.

Yes our front ends may be stronger but appearently not enough, or atleast not enough for me? They seem to have a point that a straight bar is less likely to bend than a bent one so that should give me the strength I need. Now just to break out the old suspension setup and geometry book to see if I need to change the lengh when I take the bends out.

The front ends in our era trucks are not as strong as the DMAX front end. I compared them side by side and the steering link is much larger in the DMAX truck than my BURB. This is why I will never go past 1/4 throttle in my BURB while in 4X4, the linkage just can't take it.

The front ends in our era trucks are not as strong as the DMAX front end. I compared them side by side and the steering link is much larger in the DMAX truck than my BURB. This is why I will never go past 1/4 throttle in my BURB while in 4X4, the linkage just can't take it.

What part of the 01 and up trucks is larger than the older 88-98 stuff?

Back