• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting problem when hot.

I used an oil filter wrench (pliers style) once I had the nuts loosened.

It is a small margin you will be rotating it to the driver's side 1 mm.

Your pulse width got a bit better.

Did you PM jd?

I did alot of reading about timing on the old site and never really got the whole TDCO vs Desired vs actual thing. I am not sure how to set all these different values. GMCTDs sticky was way to technical for me and Texas D Guy s input(BTW what ever happened to him ?) didn't help much either. Need an idiots version of how it works and how to set it. this is where I miss my 6.2s That part was much easier.

I used an oil filter wrench (pliers style) once I had the nuts loosened.

It is a small margin you will be rotating it to the driver's side 1 mm.

Your pulse width got a bit better.

Did you PM jd?
Not yet. I try to save bugging him till I'm at my end which I think I am. Yeah the pulse width did and what's better it that all the way up 3000 rpm it never went over 2ms so that's a good thing right ? Thing I don't get is when you turn the pump what am I actually changing ? The TDCO, The Desired ? The actual ? This is where I am confused.

Changing the offset.

Desired and actual won't change much at all in my experience. I had all kinds of different TDCO values and the desired and actual always went to 10.9* (HP4).

When you do a timeset, you will look for 0 deg desired and +3.5 actual to know that you are in the right ballpark...clear as mud?

OK that is the part I didn't do the first time. I just clicked relearn. Should I try that first or based on my last snap shot should I be looking for IP tools before going and further ?

IN other words say I do time set and don't see those numbers O des 3.5 act. That means I have more IP turning to do before relearn ? And then once those numbers look right then do the relearn . And if after the relearnTDCO still not quite on it may need another tweek ?

Last edited:
You guys do realize I am facing my final 6.5 demon here ? There is nothing I would not attempt except this. I've timed Detroits and it was less confusing.

My last snapshot my des and act were both 9.6 with TDCO at +.44. Is that relative that the 9.6 is off from 10.4 and possibly causing the TDCO to be off ?

You know the messed up part is there is a diesel shop over in MA that will do it for 60$ I am just a stubborn Irish prick and want to figure it out. Course by now you guys reading this thread are collecting a pool to pay the guy to shut me up....:smilielol5::biggrin5:

Your timing should be 8.5 I think (not chipped).

Once you see +3.5 when doing a timeset you *should* be able to get a -1.94* TDCO.

As soon as you see -1.94 on the screen - click the 'off' button to save it.

Get jd to weigh in on this. His info can only add to the site....
I PM'd him 6 posts ago.:hurray: Actually I think I'm getting it. The factory GM Manual has a really good section on it. If I'm reading it right it basically sets the measured to 3.5. The whole TDCO is called backup timing procedure.Sort of like a secondary way of doing it if I'm reading it right. I am chipped. Heath V2
That's another reason I want to get this timing thing down to an idiots version. I know on the old place I wasn't the only one that didn't get it but I think I'm starting to get it now. Gonna order the wrenches and make the turning tool. I turned the pump on the 6.2 by using a thin marker and muscle.

Probably gonna park the truck till the weekend and hopefully can get wrenches by then. Thurs and friday are wood cutting days anyway so be drivin the 2000.

OK Riddle me this batman...and then I think I got it. The book refers to measured INj Timing , is that what we are calling actual ? If that is the case I think I get it.

I bent a cheap 15mm wrench for my IP wrench. It works fine on the single T-stat but may not reach on the dual T-stat motors. Leo

OK. Called Bill H on this. Think I got a better understanding. He basically explained to me that The Measured or actual timing was the way GM first adjusted timing when the 94s came out and it didn't work well and now they are adjusted by setting TDCO. Basically desired timing is calculated by the PCM Those with stock chips will see different #s than those running performance. I was told not to screw with the Time set fueature in GMTDScan. Just move the pump about 1/16 inch in my case cause it's so far out of whack and do the relearn. And keep doling this till i get somewhere between -1.50 to -1.94 with -1.94 being the best . Anyhting past -1.94 will start setting codes. How my doing so far ? Just bought a long 15mm craftsman club today and it has an appoinnt ment with Mr. Hotwrench for an extreme makeover. Mr. Welder will provided a turning tool. Cheap got the better of me and 90$ for special wrenchs is too much when I have a full welding shop. More to come.

Back