• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting problem when hot.

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I just searched aorund the old site but didn't find exactly what I'm experiencing on my 95. This seemed to get a little worse since the weather has gotten hotter. Basically the truck starts ok when cold(It never started super great). If you drive it for a little while and shut it off and say try to start it about 15 mins half hour or so later it cranks for awhile. Tonight it was worse that usual. I actually had to try it 3x before it finally started. Think the PMD would do that ? It's still on the pump. I was waiting for it to die. Once the truck finally starts it runs fine. LP is working and fuel seems good. Didn't stall when I opened the bleeder. No codes. All winter truck started with no issues even on really cold days. I'm just trying to figure out if the hot temps off hte motor are causing the PMD to screw up after I shut the truck down or is MY IP getting ready to go south ? I just cleaned all the grounds when I had the intake off. Got two matched INterstate batteries. Not the best but they work. I have GMTDscan but havn't used it yet. Any ideas ? I know I read over the other place a few people having this problem with no solution although tonight was the first time it actually gave the impression it wouldn't start at all. it was close to 100 degrees out today. I also did injectors last month,

Last edited:
the hotter temps could be causing the PMD to fail quicker. you've got ambient heat in the engine bay then add the heat from the engine and its a good amount hotter in there than in the winter. i'm not sure if that temp difference would cause faster failing, but the PMD would get hotter and it could cause it to fail quicker one would think. on a side note we may be having a 6.5 get together if TD comes back up here this week. were still trying to figure out where.

No stalling though. Yeah keep me in the loop on the gettogether. I just wanted to get some opions on it. I actually have a Dipaco and a heatsink and cable ready to go. I was trying to fix the a/c. I just got it charged perect and when I went to take the High side off the quick connect falied so now I have to contend with finding one. Then the truck wouldn't start. It took 3 tries. wasn't a happy camper today. Taking the pickup to work tommorow. Aint drivin wit no cool breeze.

i'm in the same boat. parked the truck last night after work. started fine at work and everything. go out this morning and it cranked 3 revolutions and then click click click. one bat must have had a short in it and killed the other one. i had them tested and one was 60CCA and the other was 68CCA. they were both 770 CCA new but they were from 2002 so they were due.

Trucks turning over pretty good. I am just predjudice against INterstate Batteries. Have had a lot of problems with them in the past. Cold the truck starts pretty good. Glow plugs are cycling when hot.

Post up the scan snapshot and we can go from there...no sense guessing without the data....

Post up the scan snapshot and we can go from there...no sense guessing without the data....
Guess I'm gonna have to work for it...:smilewinkgrin:I didn't try the software yet but it's finally installed(computer had issues). I'll give it a whirl tommorow and post results. I have to learn how to use it.

You said you have the PMD on heatsink. Just mount it, connect it and see if it solved the problem before your IP turns bad. Weak PMD can cause the IP to be weak also.

I have had the same problem over the last week or so. Thought it was heat related, as temps have been up lately. Mid to upper 80's and a time or two in the low 90's. Turns out my lift pump crapped out on me. Would start fine first thing in the morning, I think due to backing into the drive with the nose pointed down the incline. Gravity feeding the IP, allowing it to start easily. Once its on flat ground, all bets are off. Takes about 15-20 seconds of cranking to get her to fire. Don't know if its the same problem as yours, but wanted to share anyways.

I agree with Chris, Aces. I'm curious about the timing. When it's colder, the CTS adjusts the timing for cold start, but it doesn't do that when it's warm, right?

Need numbers.

Hey Guys. I'm gonna try to do the snapshot tommrow. Lightening took out the power lines so spent most of the day on generator. One thing I did do though and it may be coincidence. I drove the truck home. Shut it off in the driveway. About an hour later it would not start . Just cranked and cranked. Not even trying to start. I opened the hood and hit the PMD with the garden hose for about a minute. Hit the key , truck fired right off. So Todays project was to install my new Dipaco remotley. whole kit with ext cable, cooler and D Tech was a little over 4 beans from Accurate. I know the Heath would have been the best way to go. I have it on my 2000 but I had bought the cooler and extention cable first thinking my old PMD was still good and could get away with moving it. Once this started I decided to go for a brand new DTech but since I already bought the Cooler and cable there was no snse in going the heath route. Heaths warranty is second to none but I gotta say I like the cable I got from Tim better. wasn't homemade, had the right ends on it. Only problem is I lost the blue seal on the plug that went into the old PMD. It dropped down into the land of No when I unplugged the stock PMD. No idea where to get that one. I'm going to give GMTDscan a shot tommorow.

Attachments

• DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
Hey Kenny, when I changed my crank sensor, the purple seal fell off under pump are... I took a piece of still wire and bent a small hook in the end. I fished under there for a while, and ended up retrieving it that way....

Hey Kenny, when I changed my crank sensor, the purple seal fell off under pump are... I took a piece of still wire and bent a small hook in the end. I fished under there for a while, and ended up retrieving it that way....

I can't even see it to retrieve it. I have one of those flexible claws. It went to the land of No. I had a spot light in there and can't find it.
On a different note:
I tried to use GMTDscan today to no avail. I gotta say I'm not to happy with it. I know others have used it but I am having nothing but problems. It took a good hour before I finally got the thing to validate. After that I spent another hour trying to figure out why I can't get the ALDL cable to communicate with the PC. I tried the drivers from Engh's website to no avail. I don't think the download for XP even works right. It didn't run like an install program and it's not a driver file. Anyway I finally gave up. I'm gonna dump it on eBay and look for a used Tech1. I should have done that in the first place. When I get home from work tommorow I'll go outside about a half hour after I shut it and see if it starts with the new PMD. Hopefully that cured it.

Don't give up!

When I plugged the cable into my laptop it looked online for an ALDL driver. It found the driver on its own and downloaded and installed it!

I'll see if I can find the driver name.

It shows up in the device manager as a USB serial Port under the 'Ports' menu

Here are the driver files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ftser2k.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftserui2.dll

Provider: FTDI Ltd
File Version: 2.04.06 built by: WinDDK

Plug in the cable. Go into your device manager. Look at your USB ports...fix the errors with new drivers....

I just got it to communicate. It's hard to concentrate with a 2 yr old naggin on ya sayin Daddy Daddy. Problem was I had to change the com port. Test was successful. Too late tonight to hook it to the truck so...To Be Continued..
I gotta say though this software is not as easy to configured as advertised. An average point and click user IMO is going to have problems. The directions for installing it suck. But I think i got it.

OK Here's what Happended. It is setup by default I guess to use Com1. My USB is on Com4. Once I realized what was wrong I poked around the settings on the program and found how to change it. Like I said, install instructions very vague.So basically the drivers were installed, just wasn't communicating on the right port.

I agree with truckie! My 6.5 tow truck would start and run perfect in the morning but after it ran (especially on a hot day) and you shut it off it would crank for about 30 seconds till it started. It would also start fine if you let it sit for about 3 hours.

It ended up being the lift pump under the cab on the drivers side of the frame.

Way to check.... When the problem happens take the fuel filter out and look in the filter housing. Have someone turn the key on and see if fuel is going into tne housing. If not bad pump. IIRC there about $100 from the autoparts store.

I have had the same problem over the last week or so. Thought it was heat related, as temps have been up lately. Mid to upper 80's and a time or two in the low 90's. Turns out my lift pump crapped out on me. Would start fine first thing in the morning, I think due to backing into the drive with the nose pointed down the incline. Gravity feeding the IP, allowing it to start easily. Once its on flat ground, all bets are off. Takes about 15-20 seconds of cranking to get her to fire. Don't know if its the same problem as yours, but wanted to share anyways.

Back