• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting issues...

Ranching Washington

Reaction score
00, white, crew cab, 6.5, 4x4, nv4500, SRW, WT

Been having trouble for awhile with starters it will be fine for while then intermittently when the ignition is turned the starter simply makes a electric "click" and not go. Have to keep turning ignition repeatedly with it "clicking" until it either finally decides to start (starter turns the engine fine once it finally engages) or the battery's run down and it has to be charged. I even took a switch and wired straight from the battery to the starter and am getting the same "click". The only reason I am not thinking it is the starter is because it has been changed 3-4 times with the same problem (you can't get a lemon that many times in a row can you?).

Just wondering whether anyone has run into anything even remotely similar to this and what you did (mine is just parked because I have to pull start it if I need it)

If it's a remanufactured starter then its probably the problem. I've had major issues with those.

Voltage drop the power and ground. Anything over .5v is too much. Make sure you have the front support installed.

If it turns out to be a starter, get the powermaster like ak diesel driver mentioned.

I think they are good but I will recheck the battery's.

Yes that is a good point! Just had to get a new starter for the Cat Challenger so we got one of those gear reduction one's and it seems to work fine!

If it's a remanufactured starter then its probably the problem. I've had major issues with those.

Voltage drop the power and ground. Anything over .5v is too much. Make sure you have the front support installed.

If it turns out to be a starter, get the powermaster like ak diesel driver mentioned.

Yes is probably a remanufactured starter.

Dont think the voltage drop is the problem as I cant even get it to go reliably by hooking the battery straight to the starter...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am thinking that the starter is done just was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to why my starters keep going out... could it be the solenoid is bad? (dont really want to ruin another one before I find the problem)...

I'd still voltage drop your ground side. Hook the red meter lead to the negative terminal on the battery. The black lead to the stater case and try to crank it. Anything over .5v is too high.

Resistance on the ground side will slowly kill any starter.

If you replace the starter, make sure to put a nut back to the stud that goes into the starter rear bracket (towards the front of the engine) and the bracket needs to be there.

Try to tap the starter, if it start easier then starter is bad.

00, white, crew cab, 6.5, 4x4, nv4500, SRW, WT

BThe only reason I am not thinking it is the starter is because it has been changed 3-4 times with the same problem (you can't get a lemon that many times in a row can you?).

Just wondering whether anyone has run into anything even remotely similar to this and what you did...

I am one of the first to be plagued with the invasion of the Red Communist China Krap starter solenoids. It was from a local rebuild shop. New parts don't mean good parts and I sure as hell get irritable having to swap a 6.5 starter or Power Steering pump. Best if you don't ask how many I have been through other than to understand why I would say "SO?!" to you going through 4 bad starters in a row. Almost par for the FN course sometimes. :rage:

Yeah, Get a Powermaster, period.

A Commie starter solenoid on a 6.5 starter sounds and works like this:

I am one of the first to be plagued with the invasion of the Red Communist China Krap starter solenoids. It was from a local rebuild shop. New parts don't mean good parts and I sure as hell get irritable having to swap a 6.5 starter or Power Steering pump. Best if you don't ask how many I have been through other than to understand why I would say "SO?!" to you going through 4 bad starters in a row. Almost par for the FN course sometimes. :rage:

Yeah, Get a Powermaster, period.

A Commie starter solenoid on a 6.5 starter sounds and works like this:

Yup that is the exact problem I am having! Exept it is more like 1 out of 50 times for me...

Back