• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starting issues.

Sparksy35

Reaction score
Well ladies and gents I'm at a bit of a loss. my 94 6.5 TD is having some trouble starting. I'll turn the key let the glow ugs warm then il attempt to start it and it'll crank and crank and crank and try to start and it will eventually start after about a minute or so of cranking and hitting the gas pedal.

On a 94, I would do the lift pump relay upgrade, regardless if that has anything to do with your current issue. Jumper the lift pump and let it run a few minutes before trying to start. Install a fuel pressure gauge. It will save on future diagnostics
I've been considering putting in a new lift pump just for good measure.

So, the clear 1/4” ip return line is fast diagnostics to say if the fuel is going through the ip.
having enough fuel now and to make sure you dont shorten the ip life is why you want a fuel pressure gauge on a T right at the ip inlet to a gauge on the dash you read while driving (cranking in this case). But that is not gonna fix It right now, but do it asap. If you can do it now it won’t hurt anything and can tell you if this is the issue. Dont mess with a new lift pump until the gauge is on there to tell you the current one is junk. 8-14psi for ds4.

I don’t think it is based on the smoke once it does start. Make sure that smoke smells like diesel fuel and not coolant.

I think you are having cRank speed issue, or glow plug issue not lighting the fuel as it should. Whats your cranking rpm. Post a YouTube video helps if you can

For the lift pump relay, if you aren’t comfortable making your own harness, buy one from Leroydiesel.com

The fuel pressure gauge, put a “T” in the fuel line just before the ip inlet, and buy a pressure gauge that uses a sensor. You should not exceed 14 psi, so dont get a gauge the reads really high like 100 or the range you use will be hard to read. There are mechanical pressure gauges that could run fuel into the cab, but modern electric gauges are easier and accurate. The gauge will show how to run the couple of wires, but most are simply 1 wire from sensor to gauge, then power wire to gauge, and a separate power wire to the gauge light which you tap off you other dash lights.

Back