• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter issues

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
Is it common for our starters to need shimmed?

I have put about 10K miles on my starter since I destroyed the original while I was changing the water pump. It has free wheeled off and on for ~5K miles and it doesnt matter if it is cold or hot. Sounds like an actuator problem but just wondering if shims might be needed.

It's more likely the starter drive over run clutch has failed,supposed to grab and hold when the drivesprocket engages the ring gear ,and freewheel when the flywheel turns faster(engine started) than the starter to prevent starter drive 'hangup' that prevents a smooth disengagement.

Either that or you're missing a couple teeth in the ring gear

Either way I need to get that thing out of there. I forgot to add it doesnt engage sometimes either. Pretty sure the lifetime napa warrenty will be used.

Either way I need to get that thing out of there. I forgot to add it doesnt engage sometimes either. Pretty sure the lifetime napa warrenty will be used.

I don't believe there is any way to shim the starter as it centers itself off of the nose cone of the starter into the engine rear adapter plate. I have had nothing but problems with any of the remans out there lately. The only aftermarket starters and alternators I will use are the REMY brand from ADVANCE as they are the only actual new units I have found in a long time.

Back