• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter exploded through oil pan

Elijah

Reaction score
My wife was driving my truck when she heard a dragging sound she was able.to coast it to a gas station but was unable to restart it the shop we towed it to says the starter exploded bursting through the oil pan and said we would need to replace them.to even.see if the car will start what could have caused this and is it worth getting another starter and oil pan

My wife was driving my truck when she heard a dragging sound she was able.to coast it to a gas station but was unable to restart it the shop we towed it to says the starter exploded bursting through the oil pan and said we would need to replace them.to even.see if the car will start what could have caused this and is it worth getting another starter and oil pan
Check, if the block area "where starter bolts to is broken off", then the "flex-plate teeth or pressure plate if it is a standard trans."
A discription of the vehicle would help!

Well based on that it is a $97,000 Mercedes, yes have it repaired.

Just razzin ya. Little more description please. Year make model engine.

If she was driving a while then the starter blew up- drop the starter, and hand crank the engine to see if it rotates properly. A hung engaged starter will get sent above its rpm capacity y the time you hit 20 mph and can grenade it. Expect new starter, pan, flywheel at minimum. Problem is a rod could take out the starter on its way out.

A ton of pictures would help.

what the truck is worth is first issue. A $500 beater means take it apart yourself because mechanic fees will outprice the truck before a single part gets installed.

Or oil loss from shrapnel through the pan could have taken out several main/rod bearings, too. PICS PLEASE!

Back