• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stanadyne Technical Bulletin on Grey PMD and DS4 IP

JMJNet

Recruit
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger, but I found these 2 documents from Stanadyne:

About the Grey PMD:
www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Parts Bulletin/226.pdf

The interesting thing in this document is how we can mod the old resistor for black PMD to fit the Grey PMD on page 2.

About the DS4 IP:
www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Service Bulletin/561.pdf

I am not sure if it has been posted here or not but I thought it is a good document to have.

Just in case the link does not work anymore, I attach the PDF here also.

Attachments

• Stanadyne_DS4_IP_561R1.pdf
    401.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Stanadyne_226R3_PMD-39405.pdf
    475.3 KB · Views: 112
Great find, about darn time Stanadyne put some investment into fixes for these IPs, but then had they done it earlier it would have meant admitting what we know there are design flaws & also have to pay for a replacement campaign for all of them needing upgrades vs. waiting them out & repair/replace through attrition if they cause a problem.

How much does one of these "low friction" DS Pumps cost?

I guess they didn't get the memo about remote mounting of the PMD?

So this has been around a while, do you think any of the rebuilders use the new parts in rebuilt IPs? Local Stanadyne shop wants $1100 to rebuild a pump you give them, imagine how much a new one would run.

Well, if we think about it, that GM does not have to spend money anymore since there is very little truck have IP warranty anymore. I bet GM asked for a big discount, hence all the components may not be as good as it should. Now the owner is going to pay when the buy new IP, no discount, so hopefully the fixes in the components are better.

Just my thought.

I am not sure if the new IP sold by Heath have this upgrade or not?

About time I would say. Over the years I think they upgraded the rollers, shoes, and cam ring didn't they due to different fuel specs. They should have also upgraded this "plunger rod" since it moves at every firing = millions of cycles. Short strokes but still millions of cycles over the life of the IP. They may have just never advertised this plunger upgrade as it may have been fodder for GM to place blame. They could have quietly increased hardness and or material too on a detail print but never changed the part number and just let it be interchangeable.

I have seen wear on the plunger of the fuel metering solenoid see this thread on post 30. I have suspected wear/stickyness of this plunger rod in combination with fuel lubricity causes drivability issues like fishbite or at least some hiccups etc.

See post 30....
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...IP-rebuild-time(mechanical-aspect-only)/page2

I'm sure there was a $ cost vs risk analysis done, and rollers & cam ring on "hard parts" were deemed sufficient at the time, now that builders & Stanadyne or on hook for a early IP death now the $ on them as volume of IPs sold to offset warranty returns is no longer there, so they have to make the replacements & repair parts better than new erg thees new "hard parts" and grey drivers. remember for forever their black cased driver was best design out there all other designs/and off pump mountings were bad, hello now they stopped making the black one replaced with a "better one" that wasn't needed before ????

I'm Just Sayin :mad2::???:

Well ya don't want to ask me about my experience with that friggin new improved POS gray PMD! Would had like to have froze my gonads off looking for an issue in single digit weather when it was that new improved PMD that had not even been run for more then 3 hrs tops. No more Stanadyne PMD's here, that did it for me.

Maybe I'm just being "pessimistic", but all I see is a move that will ensure that each and every 6.5 owner will eventually be forced to buy the new PMD wiring kit.....

Last edited:
Lets look at the bright side. Stanadyne is still improving things. That is a good thing. Otherwise you would just be buying the same ole pump rebuilt or reverse engineered with good quality control and priced cheaper. Price cut is great but improvements are better. Give it a little while longer and those prices will come down and you'll have better affordable parts.

Competition from Diapco, quality rebuilders, and the shear number of cores probably forced Stanadyne to get competitive on quality of a new IP.

I wonder what they could do to the rest of the pump to reduce friction and maybe increase corrosion resistance for tolerance to fuel quality. Maybe coat the timing advance piston and/or rotor? I might be interested in a heavy duty or high performance IP for a little more money.

Coatings are pretty cool. They are not all that expensive to add and you get 3 major benefits: hardness/wear resistance, friction reduction, and corrosion resistance. I have looked at cutting tool coatings some and they do have different coeffecients of friction. Pure speculation but the dark grey color appears to be similar to a TiCN
coating.

On edit excuse me TiAlN. I was investigating coating carbide blades but looks like more and more people are using coatings for more than just cutting tools. FYI http://www.tincoat.net/coatings/tialn.html

Last edited:
The D Techs are no better. In fact they are having a higher failure rate and doing things the black one never did like runaway throttle, engine shaking ,sudden death. Boy Scout Motto, Be prepared...Carry a spare if traveling.

All these were found because I was looking for a spare, I used my spare when it gave up a few weeks ago after X'mas.

As with any electronics, it can go bad very early or it can be real good with long life.

Back