• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stacks through a tonneau cover.

tracker954x4

Reaction score
Does anyone have stacks run through a vinyl tonneau cover? I am contemplating the possibility of putting stacks on my truck, and i want to keep my bed cover. I've heard of people running them through the cover and it not melting it, but haven't seen it done. How does it not melt the cover? :noidea: I had stacks on my 6.5 and melted all kinds of crap to them, including a pair of jumper cables.

would be a different look, i am not very fond of stacks, just my preference. if you get it done show some pics!!!

I would be afraid it would melt it.. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thats what i've always thought, but i've heard it has been done so.......:noidea:

You could run a 12" wide band of aluminum diamond plate at the front of the bed and run your stacks through that, and then modify your cover to start at the diamond plate.

Holy Cow! I was thinking the exact samething earlier this afternoon! I would like to run a single stack, but I too dont want to loose my tonneau cover. I was thinking of talking to my mother-in-law about stitching a black leather collar around the opening if I do it. The leather wouldnt melt and it would blend in too. Just have to get the balls to cut my bed.:doh:

like this....

edit: appearantly i cant post links to diesel place :doh: WTF?!?!

I want to know how they run them through the cover and keep it from melting.

The leather idea seems feesable.

i have a buddy with a powerstroke with a 6in stack through one an it looks damn good accept for the fact its a stroker but the cover doesnt seem to be effected by the heat

i just cant see how it wouldnt melt. Those things get HOT. The leather idea seems like a good one but the diamond plate and modification of the cover seems like the best idea, but also the most work

like this....

edit: appearantly i cant post links to diesel place :doh: WTF?!?!
That's exactly how I was thinking. I had considered doing stacks before, and that's how I wanted to do it. And then I wanted to mount a compressor in that "wasted" space, and build my own nerf bars out of 3" tubing and make them be my tanks. I was going to make the area with the stacks and compressor a separate compartment so anything in the bed wouldn't hit the stacks and get melted to them. Then I realized I really want to keep my trac rack, and really don't want to lose any bed space. I'll probably still do the compressor thing someday, but I can't find my air horns and really don't want to spend money on something I know I have. Somewhere......

i have a buddy with a powerstroke with a 6in stack through one an it looks damn good accept for the fact its a stroker but the cover doesnt seem to be effected by the heat

Can you get a picture of it? ( just the stack and cover, not the whole truck.:D)

Bump!

Did some checking today and it's appearing to be possible. I checked the pipe temperature after driving home this afternoon and it was only about 190* at the bend under the crossmember. Then i sat there and reved the engine with the egt's around 680* then checked the pipe temp and it was only a bit over 230*.:noidea::noidea: Anybody got any ideas?

what about a stack sleeve?? run a 5 or 6" stack through the bed, then put a 7 or 8" chrome sleeve around it and run the tonneau up to that. if you hold the actual stack below the sleeve, no one would ever know the difference without climbing into the bed and lookin down the pipe.....

just a thought, but it would give you ~1" of air space around the actual exhaust pipe to carry the majority of the heat out.

edit: something like this..........VVVVVVVV

what about a stack sleeve?? run a 5 or 6" stack through the bed, then put a 7 or 8" chrome sleeve around it and run the tonneau up to that. if you hold the actual stack below the sleeve, no one would ever know the difference without climbing into the bed and lookin down the pipe.....

just a thought, but it would give you ~1" of air space around the actual exhaust pipe to carry the majority of the heat out.

That should work.

Never seen it through a tonneau cover but there is a guy over in Galesburg that has dual stacks through his topper on his Dodge. It looks like he just took a hole saw and cut them. There is room around the pipes, probably 1/2 to 1 inch. No rings or anything like that.

Ya know, if you did it like this you could also drill some holes in the sleeve below the cover. That way it will draw some oxygen into the stack. There was a guy on the other site who had made a flamethrower out of his stacks using propane, but there wasn't enough oxygen. This would solve that problem.

Back