• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SS Diesel Glow Plugs... Cause My '95 6.5 Sub Needs Glow Plugs

CORVAIRWILD

Reaction score
In Arizona, buying another diesel Suburban
My 6.5 wouldn't start the other day, and it was just a little below freezing. So I plugged her in, and put on the batt charger, and she was fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U7bKpTJ7zA

I replaced both batts a couple of days ago, and it def cranks faster, but still has a few dead glow plugs I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzIAMG-AYd8

So a good friend who really knows 6.5's recommended Bosch Duraterms, but I've bugged the nice guys at SS Diesel, and feel I should give them a little business. They have "Instant Heat" glow plugs

ssdieselsupply

and they're the same price as Amazon (and they only have 1 in stock!), under $10 each. Sooooooo.... Thoughts?

Attachments

• CIMG8953 (Small).JPG
    CIMG8953 (Small).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 5
  • CIMG8983 (Small).JPG
    CIMG8983 (Small).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG8959 (Small).JPG
    CIMG8959 (Small).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Rock Auto has the bosch duraterms for 7.74 and ac delco 60g for 8.16. Thats without the discount code.

There was a few thread a while back on the instant XXX GPs.

People were having difficulty starting and the commonality was they have the Instant xxx from the different sources which is actually a rebadged WAP.
WAP GPs are good for other diesel but for some reason, they are not so good for this diesel.

The best deal on GPs are RockAuto. Bosch Duraterm is the best at this point in time and has been for a few years.
You can find a 5% discount code at the Deal Finder section in this forum.

Every time I read about ss diesel it's nothing but bad. I would stay far away from them and their products. Like mentioned above, go with the Bosch duraterms from rockauto. They seem to have the best deal.

AVOID the WAP instant heats from SSDIESEL unless you want to change them again in 3 months. He says he gives you a good warranty on them, but what he doesn't tell you is he only warranties them for 1 replacement, after that they're yours. I had a set, and down here in our mild Florida winters they made it 4 months before 3 went out. Buy the BOSCH DURATERMS or ACDELCO 60Gs. The 60G's do require a bit more glow time, so keep that in mind as the 95- trucks don't really ahve enough glow time for 60G's.

ROFL @ Leroy!!!!

Seriously, the WAPs will burn out in 3-6 months... one at a time. Walt at SSDiesel will warranty the first one, then when the next one goes, he will ask if you have changed the GlowPlug controller. If not, warranty void. He will also ask if you have a glowplug extended-time mod (either a relay or programmed into your PCM), and if so, warranty void.

Th best that will happen is that he will send you to Wellman Automotive Products (WAP) for warranty, and they aren't real good at it, either)

I like Walt OK, but he has a long history on not standing behind these plugs, and I'm tired of watching people get taken on them. Bosch Duraterms are cheaper, fully regulated, and you can glow them forever withut burning them out.

for sure the ss glow plugs are junk i speak from experince. stay away from them if you want your truck to start when is cold out

Promoting? I wonder if their reputation is really deserved? I was saying that I've called 2-3 times, and always got a human, and got answers to my questions, and someone had to give me that time. I never bought anything, so thot it was only fair to throw them a bone. On the other hand, I don't want to buy less than the best. Like anyone here, why bother with the wrong/inferior part?

You'd think that guys selling specific(6.5) parts, and being an enthusiast like us would only sell what works. It's not like a FLAP that's paid minimum wage and sells what corporate says to sell, and like at Subway (Sub shop) try upsell you with a "would you like to make a meal" (chips and a coookie) line as I'm paying f my sub...

Promoting? I wonder if their reputation is really deserved? I was saying that I've called 2-3 times, and always got a human, and got answers to my questions, and someone had to give me that time. I never bought anything, so thot it was only fair to throw them a bone. On the other hand, I don't want to buy less than the best. Like anyone here, why bother with the wrong/inferior part?

You'd think that guys selling specific(6.5) parts, and being an enthusiast like us would only sell what works. It's not like a FLAP that's paid minimum wage and sells what corporate says to sell, and like at Subway (Sub shop) try upsell you with a "would you like to make a meal" (chips and a coookie) line as I'm paying f my sub...

Walt has earned his reputation in the 6.5 world. His glow plug problems are well documented out there, and his PMD cooler has been proven to be no better than the stock one(although I had 20K miles on mine from him mounted on the intake, and it is now in another members truck still going). His prices are good though, and some stuff he sells is worth it. Like most anything out there, some people have better than others at better prices.

I have a brand new set of Walts instant heats sitting here on my computer desk... I bought them back before I knew anything about them, but instead bought brand new AC delco 60g's.

So if you are still interested I would sell you the set that I have for less then what I paid for them, they have never been installed, they're still in the baggy they came in with a his part number "SSD 008"

Mike

Back