• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Splayed main caps

If this is not something you want to be included in this thread, please have it removed. I ran across this and it seemed a very good explanation of the subject topic. Even as I continue to consider it, this cleared up some things for me.

Here are pics showing the difference between a stock cap and a splayed cap. @SnowDrift

The stock cap came out of @DieselAmateur 's block, another ding for GM's lack of caring is they went to smaller outer bolts but left the hole on the cap the same size as it was for the larger bolts, not something that a good company would have done....

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

those bolts in the factory cap also look to be a wee bit short for the amount of stress they handle. one would wonder if the threaded hole is deeper in the block as to install slightly longer bolts without having to drill and tap more thread. I will examine my 6.2 more closely when that day comes.

the odd thing too that just came to mind. the smaller diameter outer bolt was probably a GM Band-Aid fix done to help alleviate the web cracking. from what I can tell the web cracks are more on the outer bolt hole areas of the block. I bet they thought "the less meat taken out, the less chance of a crack" apparently that didn't help things.

To be clear to anyone that may read this I will explain a few things concerning my customer builds with my halo girdle and splayed caps.

The halo girdle uses 12mm studs on all 10 inside bolt locations.
The splayed caps use 1/2" studs on the 6 cap outer locations.
That leaves a front and rear outer location that uses the stock 12mm bolt... that said I may change that once I talk to ARP and see if they offer a stud the length needed to fit under the girdle.

Back