• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Spinning batt terminal on alternator

Scottsdale 83

Reaction score
the alternator on my 83 Chevy p/u. The battery terminal is turning. It was working when I took it off. Is it broken now? Fixable or trash? Any help would be appreciated

Hello 83, welcome to the truckstop. Those alternators are fixable. Inside of the alternator there is a nut on the batt stud. The nut has loosened and causes the stud to spin, it probably has cracked the insulator bushing that the stud passes through.

Mark the alternator case halfs, pull the case bolts and separate the case. The windings will stay with the back half. The back case will need to be taken apart to get down to see if the insulator has cracked. Dont loose the brush springs. When going back together, put the springs into the brush holder, press the brushes in then use a tooth pick to hold the springs and brushes in place. if You use something like a paper clip or wire, be darn sure to remove the paper clip or wire before turning the key to run, It will fry some components but I JUST DONT REMEMBER WHICH ONES, OOOOOPS, TELLING ON MYSELF AGAIN. lololol

Mark the alternator case halfs, pull the case bolts and separate the case. The windings will stay with the back half. The back case will need to be taken apart to get down to see if the insulator has cracked. Dont loose the brush springs. When going back together, put the springs into the brush holder, press the brushes in then use a tooth pick to hold the springs and brushes in place. if You use something like a paper clip or wire, be darn sure to remove the paper clip or wire before turning the key to run, It will fry some components but I JUST DONT REMEMBER WHICH ONES, OOOOOPS, TELLING ON MYSELF AGAIN. lololol
Thanks alot. After years of working on chevys and not talking an alternator apart for fear of the brushes flying everywhere I tried the toothpick trick about a month ago. I hate to think about the good alternators I've trashed over the years because of that. Now if I can figure out where to attach the carb end of the kick down cable from the transmission I might get to drive the thing.lol I bought it to sell but fell in love with this old truck. Forgot what it was like to drive something with real power and boy what a smooth ride! It's worth losing a little ⛽ mileage. I really like this forum too. Too bad it wasn't around when I got my first truck.

Hello 83, welcome to the truckstop. Those alternators are fixable. Inside of the alternator there is a nut on the batt stud. The nut has loosened and causes the stud to spin, it probably has cracked the insulator bushing that the stud passes through.
@Mr Marty- besides the insulator bushing what is that battery post connected to inside the alternator? I'm just wondering could I possibly put it back on the truck like it is? It was loose when I took it off then again I've spun it a couple turns.is there a wire or anything that could come loose at the other end of the stud?

The batt terminal hooks directly to the diode bridge, with a nut holding it to that position against the diode bridge. if left loose it will create excessive heat and more than likely destroy other components within the housing. if the nut would fall off, the wire connecting it to the back of the alternator could possibly fall away, short out and then who knows what kind of destruction that would cause.

Back