• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

spam

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Why am I getting spam showing my own email address?? I have changed my password several times now and no help... anything I can do other than change my address??

Also I've scanned my pc and nothing shows up other than cookies...

You might try doing a scan in safe mode.
I remember that happening to Me a long time ago, I do not remember what the cure was though.
Here, I found this article. there was a bunch of others too.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discuss...hat-is-using-my-own-email-to-email-me-609198/
That is like some fool using my home phone number to call me "fact is these days a thief does not need a gun just a key board." Another issue is calls that come in and the caller does not leave a message 'call them back and they can spoof your number among other things."

Why am I getting spam showing my own email address?? I have changed my password several times now and no help... anything I can do other than change my address??

Also I've scanned my pc and nothing shows up other than cookies...
A deep scan using the latest full spectrum scanning software is needed "if it's a business computer I suggest scanning daily by professional service." "You will not believe what can hide within your system."

It's likely not coming from your PC or email account at all. Just a SPAMMER using a return address the same as the send to address, aka same as yours for "from".

I can write any address on the return address of an envelope I want and toss it in the mail. Same for the relatively "insecure" design of email. The SPAMMER (person or automated program, aka virus etc.) can use (use, accurate but, display is a better word) what ever return address they want. They can forge the entire email header making the spam hard to trace. Of course Microstupid aka Outlook (online or otherwise) or built in Windows email doesn't think you need to see all that info in the headers and makes it a PIA to play the hide and seek game to find this info in a message. My God! clutter the screen with useful info instead of the useless art krap ribbon is unheard of for MicroHideTheClutter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

Headers to get an idea of where it's coming from:

https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

You have a full backup of anything important on your PC, right? You know a copy burned to a CD or DVD? Pictures, documents, customer info, email... Hard drives die taking all your info with them, encryption ransomware, flood, fire, etc... The backup CD/DVD's are in a fireproof safe, right?

Scanning tools and have a backup before you turn these loose:

Free AV scan by one of the better scanners out there.
https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

One of my favorite BFG's to turn loose. Spybot Search & Destroy:
https://www.safer-networking.org/

Last edited:
It is also likely to come from a mobile app.

Another vulnerability is the mobile device (smart phone). At the moment, this thing is nothing other than a spy in your pocket with nearly no real protection from people whom want to pull data out of it. At a minimum, this thing will give-away your location in real-time for as long as it is connected to a network. Best practices for limiting data leakage is avoid installing apps that are really not necessary for daily life. Anybody who wants to claim that one vendor / OS is better than the other is fooling themselves as one nameless company is better about burying reports of threat vectors than its competition (whom more openly embraces and fixes). Then again, the mobile carriers (the ones with the phone / data contracts) at best get fair to poor marks for making sure their 'branded' version of the OS remains current with patching against vulnerabilities.

Using a mobile device for social media and games is fine, but best practice is to do this on a second device and *NOT* on the mobile device which has information (or browse) that you care for other people *not* to have.

Real life case in point: A nameless family member swears that my warnings about their favorite mobile phone / toy goes to deaf ears as that vendor simply cannot have any security issues as that company is *soooooo* good at what it does. This family member even found enjoyment in telling others how I was *sooooo* wrong as none of the warnings had *ever* actually happened. Roll forward to just the other day when I gave a birthday present that was never seen before nor was the family member aware of its existence (the product, not the fact that it was a surprise). Saw this family member again the next day and I got a comment that it was creepy how a few hours after the present was delivered, ads for that *exact* product started to appear on the mobile device. Hmmmm . . . Naturally, I asked whether good hygene was used by logging off of social media apps after each post (not that it really helps in the case of a few highly popular offenders) and the response was: "No." So, go figure, that little 'highly secure' toy actually used the mic to record its surroundings and report back to Big Brother Social Media. Yeah, I'm the alarmist fool alright . . .

Personally, I have no expectation of privacy on the Internet, but see no reason to make it easy for others to grab data as a part of 'free' apps.

I know why everyone hates spam- they dont know how to cook it right. Haha - I kill me- and yes some of you would kill me too for these jokes, if you were close enough.

On electronic spam, I am no help. Computer illiterate, I don’t even get why it’s called spam. Amazing how well they can spy on you with technology. I have that happen all the time- at work I use the Internet to search electrical parts or tools to tell the warehouse folks which items I need, then later when I open anything else adds from moderately related or exactly the same components show up as ads for the next month or so. Reminds me of a movie I saw years ago where just walking through the store the real time ads scanned and knew who people were talking to them by name.

Back to the REAL spam- Vegas seemed to be where tons of Hawaiins move to in order to work and save up money to move back home and live- at least until the Great Recession hit. In Hawaii meats are crazy expensive, so many locals there kill tons of spam, and I made a friend from their that taught me a couple ways to cook it that is really great-

Slice it 1/8 or thinner always. High heat sear then add into fried rice dishes to let it cook, but add the spam fats into the rice also. Also when I learend the magic of Hawaiin sweet rolls. If you folks see them in grocery stores and never tried it yet- you are messing up. Anyways- make sliders out of the Spam on those rolls. The sweet bread and salty pork tatse of the seared spam makes it perfect.

Now back to your regularly programmed spam...

Back