• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So I got a CUCV

Ah the mythical CUCV. I thought we would never see it there for a minute. Congrats and keep us posted on progress. The body lift will help you clear the turbo downpipe if you don't want to run it outside the frame rail. I don't believe it runs better than the cummins though.

careful kenny or that brush guard will vanish if you come down this way. ):h

I"d love to put that style "military" brush guard on the blazer. That and the bumper with all the hooks and whatnot.

It looks great. Are you still planning on painting it back to camo?

Yeah definitely camo. Some scumbag stole the blackout light switches and plate from it. It was probably one of the mechanics but who knows. Anybody know where I could get replacements ?

careful kenny or that brush guard will vanish if you come down this way. ):h

I"d love to put that style "military" brush guard on the blazer. That and the bumper with all the hooks and whatnot.

It looks great. Are you still planning on painting it back to camo?

You can find them. I bought one for my suburban for 75 bucks. Going on it very soon.

You can find them. I bought one for my suburban for 75 bucks. Going on it very soon.

Where did you find yours? How do they mount? i'm guessing they bolt to the frame or the bumper supports? I can't tell by Kenny's photos.

When the Nigerians finally send me my millions that they've been promising, I will buy one of these. I've wanted one for a long time, stemming back from when I was in the military. 6" lift, throw on 35's, get a stout winch, drop in a healthy big block and repaint it camo...

Why would you want to neuter yourself... I get better economy offroad than the majority of every other rig I run with. The 6.2's got plenty of oomph to get you through whatever you need to get through.

If you have the 1 tons, get yourself some HMMWV rims... You can get 37's to fit that rig with a 6" lift no problem.

I have a nice set of "General Lee" redneck tubine wheels I been itchin' to use.
I had a few 6.2. They always ran great but were dogs. The turbo power will be nice besides the main reason is just to see if they run any cooler than a 6.5 truck.

Meh, my CUCV does just fine on its own... but I'm not winning any land speed records. The purpose is reliability for me, and it'll go through any mudhole slinging with the best of them...

Yeah my brown truck(see photo album) wasn't bad but I just want to make this one a fun toy as well as work. I'm 40, married basically have nothing left to live for except a few little pleasures(my son and trucks)....:D
Atleast I don't sell womens shoes...yet...:D

Any good suppliers for parts ? I need the blackout light switches. Some a'hole stole them out of the truck while it was sitting there.

Just the switches? ie: you have the holes in the panel? You can get basically any switches... but if you want stock function, you want to get a 3 position switch with a pull safety for one position, for service lights. Other switch is just a momentary on toggle IIRC, I'd have to go look outside. I still have the blackouts on the rig but to be brutually honest they're about useless unless you're using night vision, for the most part.

I have not really had a chance to look the CUCV over yet but is everything in the truck 24v or just the starting system ? Also how hard to convert ? Obvious would be starter, alt , and light bulbs if they are 24v. Any advantage to having 24v other than it turns over like a SOB. I'd almost like to convert the truck to 12v but keep the 24v starter and use a series parallel switch off an old R Model. I wonder if anyone has tried that ?

I have not really had a chance to look the CUCV over yet but is everything in the truck 24v or just the starting system ? Also how hard to convert ? Obvious would be starter, alt , and light bulbs if they are 24v. Any advantage to having 24v other than it turns over like a SOB. I'd almost like to convert the truck to 12v but keep the 24v starter and use a series parallel switch off an old R Model. I wonder if anyone has tried that ?
I don't see why that wouldn't work IF it isn't 12v lights and accessories already. That's the way Dad's old '60s IHs were.

Back