• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So I bought a 6.2...

pacificdrumma

Reaction score
...for $150 I couldn't say no!

Found it on Craigslist, advertised as a low mileage engine removed from a CUCV Blazer. Appears to be in good shape. No oil leaks, paint on the oil pan and block, nothing visibly broken. The idea is to strip it to a long block to use to build a center mount turbo setup. Whether that turbo setup stays on the 6.2 or goes on my 6.5, I'll have the engine for the indefinite future and would like to know more about it. The air cleaner lid has it rated at 140hp, it has no EGR, and a 4521 spec injection pump. The block casting number appears to be 4022660, and I think it's about an '87 year engine.

Give me your thoughts on it and things I should know. I've had my 6.5 for 80k miles so I know the platform fairly well. Is this a good block? A good basis for a project? And can I test run it without a flywheel?

2206700f402d5ef71e54805121acdbfe.jpg

6d2bf4fc3e38f75b2061192e69e3cd19.jpg

950e8352921b1bfb921e73f3b8efe0e5.jpg

5efd295059209a5c14bcbfb52ba098cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . advertised as a low mileage engine removed from a CUCV Blazer.

Maybe it is, maybe it is not . . . IIRC those ODO's 'roll-over' at 99,999 miles and sellers will list them based on the ODO reading and presume that it had not rolled.

. . . can I test run it without a flywheel?

I would not as the flywheel is what keeps the inertia going by pushing the next piston through into the compression stroke. Besides the challenge of starting the motor without a flywheel (as Will mentioned), it probably would not run anyway, die at the next compression stroke, and snap / break whatever you are using to try and start it.

Toward usefulness of that 6.2. Worst case is that it will serve as a test-bed for fitting things on it and see whether they will physically mount to another motor. Best case is that it is rebuild-able.

If the 6.2 is serviceable, it is WarWagon's arguably favorite motor as they are cheap enough and run for a while even under his 'demanding' habits :)

Pull the oil pan and look for mains cracks. Check the starter mount. I have a 660 hanging on with main cracks still going 30K miles later. You can sell the alternators and intake manifold for what you paid for it. :) You can sell the engine for $1000 or more if it's crack free. Keep the IP for your truck...

Back