• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smokin'!!

khills

Reaction score
So I replaced all of my injectors with Bosch from Rock Auto. I've been having a lot of smoke from the tailpipe along with an injector knock. After reviewing my order I found that the picture of the injector on the Rock Auto site says "India". So with a little digging I found the Bosch injectors are not made in Germany any more but India and they're junk. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can confirm that they are junk. Please let me know know. Thanks

Send that back to rock auto now.
rock auto is selling knock off bosch stuff and the corporation isn’t aware of it or is turning blind eye to it. One of those glowplugs ruined my piston with less than 70,000 miles on my optimizer, and less than one year on the glow plugs. Then basically told me F-off.

Bosch did move all their injector production to India and if you get the REAL ones from someone like Leroy- you won’t have problems.

They stopped making them in Germany years ago. I searched for a few yewrs to find some nos german nozzles , sitting on the shelf waiting for a big turbo and ip bump to use the bigger nozzles.

Back to getting parts- when it comes to parts that can destroy an engine- I will only buy from a super trusted supplier. Most often is AUTHORIZED brick and mortar stores for parts from ac delco or bosch. The exception I make and would still get from rock auto is the Melling oil pump.

i had same problem with a set of new Bosch injectors made in India ...bought from ebay, original Bosch, all of them were out of spec, ...some rate to 1550 1600 1700 1850 1950 psi, noone was in spec and 2 was pissing.... bad, asked discount from seller and i retained the new body. then i DIY poped to 2200 psi with new set of noozle made in Brasil.
think brasilian noozles are better made than Indian.
Bosch has moved the production of the old injectors first to the Czech Republic, then to Brazil and for years now to India.
no production has been made in Germany for a very long time now.
even the nozzle sprayers have not been produced in Germany for a long time.
I laugh when I hear that to reconstruct the injectors they put new nozzles made in germany. maybe junk nozzles made in china 🤣

i had same problem with a set of new Bosch injectors made in India ...bought from ebay, original Bosch, all of them were out of spec, ...some rate to 1550 1600 1700 1850 1950 psi, noone was in spec and 2 was pissing.... bad, asked discount from seller and i retained the new body. then i DIY poped to 2200 psi with new set of noozle made in Brasil.
think brasilian noozles are better made than Indian.
Bosch has moved the production of the old injectors first to the Czech Republic, then to Brazil and for years now to India.
no production has been made in Germany for a very long time now.
even the nozzle sprayers have not been produced in Germany for a long time.
I laugh when I hear that to reconstruct the injectors they put new nozzles made in germany. maybe junk nozzles made in china 🤣

Where did you source shims to get your injectors to pop within desired spec? Last I looked shims were even harder to find than decent Bosch injectors & nozzles

When bosch first went to india they had qc problems. Enough people called (I joined in with a friend in spam calling them with complaints) so they re set up their testing.

One or two guys here (I can’t remember who) said they got the India bosch from Leroy- and tested them right out of the box snd all 8 were within the 25psi range.

The thing to remember about the knock off stuff- it isn’t 1974 dudes in a backyard. The part, the packaging all look correct. Talking to AC Delco guy, they actually test metallurgy on glow plugs to see if it is theirs or a knock off. So don’t think you can eyeball it and tell.

On the people rebuilding with Germans- it’s because there are people like me that bought them and put them on a shelf. So mine are stored in vacuum sealed container to keep them perfect until needed. And still in factory packages of course.

Wow. You guys sure know your stuff!!! Thanks so much for all of your comments. Now I’m quite certain that this problem I’ve been having for so long now is a set of bad new fake crap injectors. I was racking my brain trying to figure this thing out assuming that new injectors are good injectors. Sheesh!!! Well I’ll tinker with it this week and see what happens. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help!!

Wow. You guys sure know your stuff!!! Thanks so much for all of your comments. Now I’m quite certain that this problem I’ve been having for so long now is a set of bad new fake crap injectors. I was racking my brain trying to figure this thing out assuming that new injectors are good injectors. Sheesh!!! Well I’ll tinker with it this week and see what happens. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help!!
It might be a good idea to get Your injectors tested, or buy or make Your own injector test stand. If You are not aboe to access that equipment, then You might want to get on Leroy Diesel web site and check out a set of his injectors.
Another thought, if there is a John Deere equipment shop in Your area, they too might be able to test Your injectors. Even if they cant adjust them, they should be able to let You know if You have faulty ones.
I will never again install a set of injectors before testing them.
I got a set of Bosch rebuilt units from Orielly auto parts store and I must have hit it on a good day. The engine seems to run good with not roughness on the idle.

Best place to find injector shims is over in Europe. The VW and Mercedes idi use the same nozzle design so they use the same shim. If you just want to do your own set you can find some smaller sets of shims from some of the European shops here in the states. Or pay big money at a bosch fuel shop. If you want a big assortment of shims then your better off ordering from overseas.

A good pop tester isn't cheap. And I wouldn't trust the Amazon special to do the job. You can build your own from a bottle jack and get a good quality tool for cheap.

Here's mine I just finished putting together the other day.
20211130_192910.jpg

Instead of diesel, you can use for test - lamp oil, it absolutely does not smell of anything and is crystal clear. I use it in a kerosene lamp instead of kerosene.

However, since our fuel all changed in viscosity since lsd and ulsd, the spec of performance is all changed with this new junk fuel. So my suggestion would be using the fuel that you will run. Then take notes as you cycle between your two sets of injectors. One being modified and the other running the mpg/ 0-60 times and dynos for you wealthy folk. Then just swap the injectors in a short time period and no open cylinders for contamination possibly. Marking one set with a color code, like 8 plain and 8 red makes sure you don’t accidentally put in wrong set on swap day.

Then once you find your happy spot- one last round with the set on the bench to final spec. Then before storage- run straight 10 wt oil through them and the oil will keep the ethonal inthe fuel from gumming up your test pump and injectors that get stored forthe next 100,000 miles. Keeping a hard copy of test results and final pressure with tool and spare injectors makes it convenient later. Obviously showing results here for um...storage... haha is never frowned on.

Back