• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoker build

Looks really good Ferm, that was a good deal on the splitter. I've never heard of using Oak for smoking.

Looks really good Ferm, that was a good deal on the splitter. I've never heard of using Oak for smoking.
It's what we have down here in the south, and LOTS of it. I like to mix in some laurel oak with it, and maybe throw in some hickory. Trying to find some hickory to split now that I have the splitter. I missed out on a free tree last month, but I didn't feel liek getting a whole tree and no way to split it. With my back and shoulders, I just can't swing a maul anymore.

Plenty of hickory up here but it's very difficult to split. Very stringy. Even My 34 ton splitter does a fine job on it but you have to run the wedge all the way through to the bottom. Great firewood though. I'll take oak or ash any day over hickory. But back to smoking...
My family in Texas likes pecan for smoking. Got some by you Ferm?

I've always heard willow was bitter and I don't know of anyone using it up here same with birch and there's lots of both

Pecan is my choice of wood for grilling Steaks...applewood for pork and chicken

I've never smoked large items before ie ham, pork shoulders, turkeys etc...

I have ALOT of good live oak aging now, and have somebody supposed to be bringing me some hickory to split. I found somebody about 50 miles away with hickory and cherry for free, but questioning wether I should make the drive to see if it is junk wood or not.

If you can get your hands on honey locust, the wood and / or bark gives a nice flavor for beef. Food will reek of a forest fire though . . .

Wife told me to stop using the locust as, while the burgers tasted good, I stunk-up the house :oops:

Just cleared some honey locust below the house here. The old yellow locust was one of the best types of wood to build fence stakes with and would be about the best firewood one could use. Yellow locust is hard to find anymore, blight or disease is about to kill them off.

Back