• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

sluggish truck

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Hi all,

we have some problem with a 1995 K1500 : the truck is hard to start and sluggish.

Few weeks ago we succeed in putting the truck back on the road after we found it had a defective PCM.

We put a turbo master on it to solve wastegate actuation troubles and all was working almost fine.

Then, quite quickly, she started again to go into trouble : long crancking before start time to time, sluggish time to time, and check engine light showing up, time to time.

Then all these came more and more often, and now always.

When the engine was working fine, the iddle was about 600 RPMs, now, the engine iddles at 900~1000 RPMs

I hooked up the scanner and we found :

-18 pump cam reference pulse error
-36 injection pulse width error (response time too long)
Sluggish 1.jpg

I cleared all codes, the MIL turns off, then ligths up again.

The scanner shows again same codes.
Sluggish 2.jpg

My buddy is suspecting PMD. I rather suspect the IP itself.

What do you think?

Did you gave a try with a cup of ATF and 2-Stroke-Oil added to the tank ?

You should try this :

Clear the codes.

Add a full teacup filled with ATF into the fuelfilter bowl (only once - this will clean the IP, the optical sensor and the injectors). Add about 1 quart/liter 2-stroke oil to a full 26gal./98 liter fuel tank. If you got a longbox with 34gal./134 liter tank, you should add about 1,5 quarts/liter of 2-stroke-oil. (this will lubricate the IP, injectors, liftpump, etc.)

You should add with every tank some 2-stroke-oil. 1:200 -> about 0,5 quarts/liter in a shortbox tank (26gal./98l.).

Normally, this should help, sometime the code comes back one or two times and than stays away.

After the ATF and 2-stroke-oil procedure, the codes often stays away, as long as you add 2-stroke-oil to every tank.

The actual ULSD fuel DON'T lubricates the IP enough. This often causes the code.

BUT could also be the PMD. I would try the ATF / 2-Stroke-Oil first, cauz it is cheaper and if it is not better or solved, you could go with the PMD.

Cu,
Sven

You can put the "suspect" driver on your truck to see if problem follows to yours, that way if something on his is killing drivers then you won't hurt your working one. The history codes not related to IP may be indicative of gnd issues as well, double check all are intact and clean, when it's running what is the TSM doing, also looks like you have a scan tool what happens when you go into time set mode?

Did you gave a try with a cup of ATF and 2-Stroke-Oil added to the tank ?

You should try this :

Clear the codes.

Add a full teacup filled with ATF into the fuelfilter bowl (only once - this will clean the IP, the optical sensor and the injectors). Add about 1 quart/liter 2-stroke oil to a full 26gal./98 liter fuel tank. If you got a longbox with 34gal./134 liter tank, you should add about 1,5 quarts/liter of 2-stroke-oil. (this will lubricate the IP, injectors, liftpump, etc.)

You should add with every tank some 2-stroke-oil. 1:200 -> about 0,5 quarts/liter in a shortbox tank (26gal./98l.).

Normally, this should help, sometime the code comes back one or two times and than stays away.

After the ATF and 2-stroke-oil procedure, the codes often stays away, as long as you add 2-stroke-oil to every tank.

The actual ULSD fuel DON'T lubricates the IP enough. This often causes the code.

BUT could also be the PMD. I would try the ATF / 2-Stroke-Oil first, cauz it is cheaper and if it is not better or solved, you could go with the PMD.

Cu,
Sven

Most people say ATF is No Good for the fuel system.......Why do you think it is OK?
Just curious?

Thanks,
Louis

Matt, When I hear sluggish I think Tank sock, LP..............Fuel related..........But if the codes point somewhere else check it out, easy and cheap stuff first.
Just a thought

Louis

Thanks for your suggestions.

The guy is gone for a few days. I should be able to see him again on Wenesday, and I will connect the scan tool to see what's going on when going on time set mode, and I'll try to see if I can find how many cam counts missed at idle.

I gave the guy a bottle of Stanadyne additive and had told him to add 2 stroke oil in each refill.

Most people say ATF is No Good for the fuel system.......Why do you think it is OK?
Just curious?

Thanks,
Louis

ATF is not the best fora fuel system, but you should use only a teacup full of ATF and directly into the fuel filter bowl and only once ! - not as the 2-stroke-oil with every fill up. In our "old style" diesel engines, there is no problem with to add a teacup full of ATF FOR CLEANING purpose only. The ATF will clean up the optical sensor inside the IP, which is often the source for such problems matuva mentioned/suggested. The 2-stroke-oil is for lubricating the IP, injectors, liftpump, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cu,
Sven

I had the same codes, along with excessively long crank times before it started and running like garbage. PCM is operating in limp mode due to #18 code. I first tried a new PMD relocated under front bumper, did not help, so followed up with a new IP as both #18 and #36 are tied to a bad optic sensor. With new IP, codes vanished, truck fired up almost as soon as key turned, and it runs great.

Yup, we pour a full bottle of Stanadyne fuel treatment in the tank, and after few kilometers,the engine came back to life.
The guy phone me to tell she starts fine and pushes strong. We cross fingers and hope this was enough to clean the optic sensor.
I will see the truck in the days coming and will keep you updated. ;)

Yup, we pour a full bottle of Stanadyne fuel treatment in the tank, and after few kilometers,the engine came back to life.
The guy phone me to tell she starts fine and pushes strong. We cross fingers and hope this was enough to clean the optic sensor.
I will see the truck in the days coming and will keep you updated. ;)

Really.... Stanadyne fuel treatment that good? Much better than Power-Service?

I don't know wich one is the best. The stanadyne didn't help for a knock problem I had, as the redline oil additive did.
What's power service? We don't get it here.

I believe stanadyne helped in cleaning optic sensor, or we were lucky. We cross fingers and hope that will last...

I use stanadyne additive in every tank.... per mixing instruction, more or less...I also add 2 cycle oil for the lubrication

Back