• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slightly OT- Ck out this diesel piston

davo727

Reaction score
I saw this and was impressed as hell with it.

Cummins N14 2 piece piston, 855 cubic inch 6 cyl. Probably not gonna crack the dome or ring lands off that baby.

Attachments

• N14EKIT01.jpg
    N14EKIT01.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 96
WOW. That's gorgeous. Look at the beauty of the design and the machining! Very impressive.

-Rob :)

Yea, its all steel where needed for strength and then the aluminum outer for sleeve contact. That wrist pin is probably the size of a coke can. Bore about 5.5 in, stroke 6 in.

I think im gonna buy one of those pistons just to sit on my dresser and look at :)

I bet that will be one expensive piece of decoration for your dresser. ):h

It does look good! :thumbsup:

Here is my diversion last 3 weeks, I've been at the factory locomotive engine repair school for locomotive engines I deal with on my day job now, 12 & 16 cyl Diesels 4400 & 6000 shp Diesels.

Attachments

• DCP03701.JPG
    DCP03701.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DCP03700.JPG
    DCP03700.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DCP03699.JPG
    DCP03699.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DCP03698.JPG
    DCP03698.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DCP03697.JPG
    DCP03697.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DCP03696.JPG
    DCP03696.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 38
  • DCP03695.JPG
    DCP03695.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DCP03694.JPG
    DCP03694.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DCP03703.JPG
    DCP03703.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DCP03702.JPG
    DCP03702.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 38
and a few more, will try to grab some more later of sectionalized "cut away" engines & parts

Attachments

• DCP03704.jpg
    DCP03704.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DCP03705.JPG
    DCP03705.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DCP03706.JPG
    DCP03706.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 26
  • DCP03707.JPG
    DCP03707.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DCP03716.JPG
    DCP03716.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DCP03718.JPG
    DCP03718.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DCP03719.JPG
    DCP03719.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
I love that stuff... my Dad had a compressor station with a couple old diesel submarine engines running the turbines... they had one apart one day when I was there, looked a lot like that.

Everything was so easy to SEE. LOL.

Doc

What breed of Loco engine?? Fairbanks Morse, Alco ????

I have had some experience around locos myself.

Also have worked as a volunteer on a 1941 Lima 4-8-4 steamer (Old Daylight engine 4449)

Last time I helped rework one of the westinghouse cross compound air compressors.

OMG this stuff is HUGE, heavy and takes the oddest tools.

Had to machine a special 8 sided socket wrench to remove the intake valves from the compressor.

All Bastard tools were used and very few exist any more.

Helped a little on one of the diesel electrics a couple times.

All vintage rail stuff.

Way cool though.

Diesel is diesel.

Steam is dirty. OMG soot on everything, plus they are hotter than all get out when working

MGW

Here is my diversion last 3 weeks, I've been at the factory locomotive engine repair school for locomotive engines I deal with on my day job now, 12 & 16 cyl Diesels 4400 & 6000 shp Diesels.

Boring, both 265H and HDL engines are pretty robust, on the AC's, some computer/electrical stuff...odd turbo...we've had AC's (GM & GE) 4400 - 6000 for about 12 years now...

Not boring to me...:eek:

I knew these beasts of burden were HUGE but when you see the crank on the floor next to a tool box, whoa. It's like the tool boxes are miniatures. !

Now that's an engine.

I saw this and was impressed as hell with it.

Cummins N14 2 piece piston, 855 cubic inch 6 cyl. Probably not gonna crack the dome or ring lands off that baby.

That is one HELL of a wrist pin.

Heck I used to drive flatbed. N14 Select. Powerful engine, but the noise... Just monotonous.

Doc

General Electric As CHB pegged it FDL-EVO 4400, also been playing with HDL-6000, some older Dash-7 & 9 engine familiarization.

GE has lions share of new production locomotives, CHB though it may be boring to you; some stuff I'm, working with so new I'm not allowed to take pics of or share much about is the new common rail EFI engine going to the UK is very fresh & interesting indeed, also soon I'll be working with GE hybrid locomotive also very new.

Locomotives (Diesel) a new gig for me since last Sept. after 28 previous years working with turbines, looking to move to Marine Diesels & mining equipment Diesels

http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/marineengines.html

http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/miningdrivesystems.html

Last edited:
Well, I think Davo727's pics are the shiniest. :D I like shiny things :)

X2 but we weren't allowed to take pics in the new build areas, what was a cool fact that GE does it's own maching of cast pieces that make up parts of a locomotive engine, 1000# of shavings alone out of the block before it ready to mate with other pieces/parts that make up a GE Diesel. At peak production 40 Diesel engines/week roll off assembly line, down to about 20/week now.

Doc

I have had some experience around locos myself.

Also have worked as a volunteer on a 1941 Lima 4-8-4 steamer (Old Daylight engine 4449)

Last time I helped rework one of the westinghouse cross compound air compressors.

OMG this stuff is HUGE, heavy and takes the oddest tools.

Had to machine a special 8 sided socket wrench to remove the intake valves from the compressor.

All Bastard tools were used and very few exist any more.

Helped a little on one of the diesel electrics a couple times.

All vintage rail stuff.

Way cool though.

Diesel is diesel.

Steam is dirty. OMG soot on everything, plus they are hotter than all get out when working

MGW

Sadly, or maybe not, Fairbanks Morse and Alco no longer exist. You are looking at a very distant Alco cousin, the GE EVO engine, the latest and greatest (Greenest?) from them. The crank appears to be from a 12 cylinder version. Thanks for the pix and the heads up about them Tim. Mike

Zero to sixty feet deep in the mud ??? :eek:

With that weight on the front end it might just do that ):h

Need training wheels out front to hold it up. :thumbsup:

Missy

Back