• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shutting off without any notice

Maybe you could find/make a pigtail connection for two PMD connections to wye into one. Then use the old one (which hopefully works) mounted on the IP as a backup.
Would one interfere with the other? Would you need to isolate them with a switch?

If you found a robust 6 pole double throw switch it wouldnt be hard to do, but that is another item to worry about contacts, internal and external. So to get a switch rated with intrusion protection for moisture and dust will cost more. Then you have to worry about the connectors to the switch so you have to have a switch with a weatherpacked connector so those contacts dont corrode. You don't want to add considerable length to the PMD harness so the swith would have to be in the engine bay. Alternatively you could use a few different switches if you found a good candidate but it didnt have 6 poles

PMDs in parallel would be a real experiment, not hard to do either, but with the IP's precision timing of pulses from a single PCM source I do not know if it would work.

Maybe you could find/make a pigtail connection for two PMD connections to wye into one. Then use the old one (which hopefully works) mounted on the IP as a backup.
Would one interfere with the other? Would you need to isolate them with a switch?

That's what I was originally thinking as I was planning the installation of the new one. To be fair, you could just have 2 drivers mounted next to each other and when one fails, unplug the remote harness and plug it into the other.

If you found a robust 6 pole double throw switch it wouldnt be hard to do, but that is another item to worry about contacts, internal and external. So to get a switch rated with intrusion protection for moisture and dust will cost more. Then you have to worry about the connectors to the switch so you have to have a switch with a weatherpacked connector so those contacts dont corrode. You don't want to add considerable length to the PMD harness so the swith would have to be in the engine bay. Alternatively you could use a few different switches if you found a good candidate but it didnt have 6 poles

PMDs in parallel would be a real experiment, not hard to do either, but with the IP's precision timing of pulses from a single PCM source I do not know if it would work.

Load balanced drivers with failover was the other direction I was heading in. If you could cut in half the load would it do anything for reliability?

Also, I agree with your added complexity argument about the switch. I'll have to see if there's a solid state 6 pole double throw relay out there.

Well, off to order my new Driver. #3

That's what I was originally thinking as I was planning the installation of the new one. To be fair, you could just have 2 drivers mounted next to each other and when one fails, unplug the remote harness and plug it into the other.

Load balanced drivers with failover was the other direction I was heading in. If you could cut in half the load would it do anything for reliability?

Also, I agree with your added complexity argument about the switch. I'll have to see if there's a solid state 6 pole double throw relay out there.

Well, off to order my new Driver. #3

For convience sake I keep 2 PMD's mounted to the bumper on heatsinks with resistors within reach of the harness and also have a dead-end harness conector plugged into the secondary PMD to keep it clean for when needed.

Still waiting on replacement PMD from Heath. Cut off on my wife 3 times yesterday. Ran just fine for about 6 days until yesterday.

Will let you know how new PMD works.

Todd

Ford owners used to carry ESC modules with them as well as early GM owners for spark control units. Made you want your point set back...

You guys are making me want to DB2 the 95 burb I just got even more now...

I ordered a kit from Heath. It's a DTech model DT19209057 mounted to two aluminum plates and includes a wiring harness extension.

The problem is going to be installing it without removing the intake manifold or anything else. Heath insists it can be done without removing anything. I'm looking at it and I can't even see the clip or the harness much less unclip the connector and attach the new extension harness.

I'll try again tomorrow and I'll bring longer tools and a coat hanger to the work site

It was easy on mine, but then I dont have a thermostat housing in my way. You should be able to see the PMD on the drivers side of the IP to unclip the harness. I think I used a long flat head screwdriver.

The double thermostats are kickin my arse. I can't see the cable or the connector on the PMD. I'll have to look again when it is sunny out - I may be missing it due to the lack of light.

Finally got it done.

I'll bring it home tomorrow and mount it correctly.

I used a steel ruler of all things. I couldn't get anything else in there to snap the clip.

A long skinny flatbalde. The dual stats make it more of a bitch but it can be done. Take the upper intake off makes it a little easier.

I am watching this thread closely as I too have a Heath unit which just started crapping out. It seems when cold it will shut down up to 5 times now, but once warmed up it seems to be alright, although I wouldn't trust it. My Heath PMD is just over three years old. I have a Heath LP too which is pumping good and replaced the fuel filter just in case.

I am watching this thread closely as I too have a Heath unit which just started crapping out. It seems when cold it will shut down up to 5 times now, but once warmed up it seems to be alright, although I wouldn't trust it. My Heath PMD is just over three years old. I have a Heath LP too which is pumping good and replaced the fuel filter just in case.

Do a thorough ground clearing before blaming the heath unit. Seasonal temp changes reek havoc on poor grounds. I actually had a stall today myself. Its amazing how fast these things can stall out!

Every year you should remove, wirebrush, and re-install EVERY ground wire, fuse, and fuse blocks. These systems DEPEND on it. I have to do mine this year. Its like clockwork. Summer turns to fall, grounds need cleanings.

Much better to take a Saturday when its 60-70 degrees out and take your time, then to be dealing with this crap when its freezing out... I sure know I will as I have every year since finding the boyz here.

UPDATE

I received my new d-tech PMD from Heath over a month ago. NO MORE STALLING!!! BUT now when I let off the accelerator, the engine has an extra "rev" that it never had before. It sounds like I shifted it to neutral and feathered the go pedal.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their truck?

BTW- Can't say enough about Heath and his customer service.

Todd

Heath customer service second to none

UPDATE

I received my new d-tech PMD from Heath over a month ago. NO MORE STALLING!!! BUT now when I let off the accelerator, the engine has an extra "rev" that it never had before. It sounds like I shifted it to neutral and feathered the go pedal.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their truck?

BTW- Can't say enough about Heath and his customer service.

Todd

I have just finished a week of testing with a replacement and zero stalling so far. I still had stalling after doing Fuel filter, reseating many electrical connections and cleaning all grounds (and applying a conductive grease)

I second the part about Heath Diesel Customer Service, I personally talked to Bill about this problem and when we had covered off everything else. He said he would get a replacement in the the mail that night. We were both surprised that it could be the PMD failing but he sent it and said let him know in a couple weeks. He is one stand up guy!!! As well as a wealth of knowledge. Bob

Back