• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should i buy an 06 2500hd with a 6.6 duramax with 298000miles on it?

I like the look of the newer body style trucks with the big tall front ends and the massive headlights, but I steer far far away with all the electronics and emission controls they have, not to mention their cost that's close to a small house! now one of those rigs with a 6.5 or even a non ecm 12 valve Cummins under the hood would be icing on the cake!

Now THAT'S a $23-25,000 '06!
As that clean and low miles are, they've been bringing up to 30 for the last year. Availability and reliability are the drivers. My nephew was offered 10 and 11k for my old one at 375,000... Even with all the rust on the body. Clean ones are sky high with miles under 200k. Lifts and such are a big discount no-no.

Yeah, I know. Real estate prices have skyrocketed around here, too, both new and used. A 110 y.o., 700 ft², two bedroom shotgun bungalow on a postage stamp lot and with no garage in the North or South Bottoms that would have sold for maybe $45K three years ago, lists for sale for $62K and sells at $70K because of the buyer bidding war.

The young couple with two small kids that bought the built in 1973, 3 Bed, 1¾ Bath, eat-in kitchen, 960ft² main, split foyer ranch three years ago for $125K next door to me, were astounded to see the Tax Valuation this year on their house come in at $165K! And it's State Law that Residential Property be assessed at 98% of Fair Market Value.

Our neighborhood, for the most part, is 40-50 year old 3 bdr, single stall Ranch and Split Foyer homes in the 960-1080 ft² range. We're a 'starter home' neighborhood and so many times a house will have a For Sale sign go out front on a Wednesday with an Open House Sunday 1-5pm sign on top, and if it hasn't been Sold without being shown by Friday, then the Sold sign goes out 2pm Sunday, with the Seller accepting a $182K final offer on a $160K asking price! The housing market around here is nuts! Even in small rural towns within 30 miles of Lincoln or in the Lincoln-Omaha corridor it's gotten outrageous!

I've thought about cashing out, getting a used Prevost motorhome and go snowbird, but the timing's not right. I want to wait seven years so I can collect full Social Security as well as have my Medicare before I go wander the USA. Plus, I want to put about $30-35K into updating my house (reroof, siding, kitchen/dining room remodel and both bath updates from 1970's, new floor coverings, replace the piece of crap deck the p.o. built back in '86 when they did the horrible remodel of the kitchen and put a new roof on the attached garage they built and convert the original garage stall under the house into a Master bdrm suite. A couple of Real Estate agent friend of mine said doing that could add another $60K to the asking price and in 7 years I could very easily get $250K for my house since it sits on a large corner lot with mature shade trees.

Yeah, I know. Real estate prices have skyrocketed around here, too, both new and used. A 110 y.o., 700 ft², two bedroom shotgun bungalow on a postage stamp lot and with no garage in the North or South Bottoms that would have sold for maybe $45K three years ago, lists for sale for $62K and sells at $70K because of the buyer bidding war.

The young couple with two small kids that bought the built in 1973, 3 Bed, 1¾ Bath, eat-in kitchen, 960ft² main, split foyer ranch three years ago for $125K next door to me, were astounded to see the Tax Valuation this year on their house come in at $165K! And it's State Law that Residential Property be assessed at 98% of Fair Market Value.

Our neighborhood, for the most part, is 40-50 year old 3 bdr, single stall Ranch and Split Foyer homes in the 960-1080 ft² range. We're a 'starter home' neighborhood and so many times a house will have a For Sale sign go out front on a Wednesday with an Open House Sunday 1-5pm sign on top, and if it hasn't been Sold without being shown by Friday, then the Sold sign goes out 2pm Sunday, with the Seller accepting a $182K final offer on a $160K asking price! The housing market around here is nuts! Even in small rural towns within 30 miles of Lincoln or in the Lincoln-Omaha corridor it's gotten outrageous!

I've thought about cashing out, getting a used Prevost motorhome and go snowbird, but the timing's not right. I want to wait seven years so I can collect full Social Security as well as have my Medicare before I go wander the USA. Plus, I want to put about $30-35K into updating my house (reroof, siding, kitchen/dining room remodel and both bath updates from 1970's, new floor coverings, replace the piece of crap deck the p.o. built back in '86 when they did the horrible remodel of the kitchen and put a new roof on the attached garage they built and convert the original garage stall under the house into a Master bdrm suite. A couple of Real Estate agent friend of mine said doing that could add another $60K to the asking price and in 7 years I could very easily get $250K for my house since it sits on a large corner lot with mature shade trees.
.we would like to sell 20 acres, tools, mowers and stuff for $300,000 northeastern Illinois. Just can't keep up right now. Haven't been for many years.

Maybe they will redo the no eviction thing and we can just live rent free, tax free and save a bunch of money. Seems a lot of people did that last go round.

We'd probably just get a camper and head south.

On the truck prices- same issue. If a person has a truck (or car) they never use- heah you can get good money for it now. But if you think your gonna sell a truck today, and buy it’s replacement in 2-3 months and be money ahead? Ummm...

Seems to me, the more money the experts are in charge of or have themselves- the more the term hyperinflation is used like the ceo of Bank of America.
If the plan is sell the big house, buy rv and enjoy- cool. If you want to live in a house when you are done driving, really look at buying and renting until the trip is done. Because that 100k house few years ago is now 130k and in 4 years can easily be 200k.

Back