• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shopping for a laptop

I will give 8 that it's much faster, on a computer optimized for it, but I don't like the interface, at all.

Anyone with 8 should upgrade to 8.1. It is a slight improvement. It's free.

I will give 8 that it's much faster, on a computer optimized for it . . .

IIRC that was one of the sales points for W8 (which makes it more Apple like in that regard). Only down side is that it takes hardware manufactures a bit of a learning curve to get fully compliant with any new OS.

And toward W8's replacement, scuttlebutt is that W9 is due to release in April 15 (with no known test version available yet).

With all the squawking about 8 and 8.1 I would guess W9 will be a free upgrade for 8 & 8.1 users.

I don't think the corporate enterprise will be pushing 8 out anytime soon. Rumors already for 9 are appearing to fix W8. Win7 is still my all time favorite.

I just got a new laptop and asked the guys... they said our EA will remain on Win7 through 2015 at least. You don't have to look hard to find XP laptops there either.

On another note, I'm spending $$ on new VMWare clusters and I'm trying to get them to add Server 2012 to the EA.

I just got a new laptop and asked the guys... they said our EA will remain on Win7 through 2015 at least. You don't have to look hard to find XP laptops there either.

On another note, I'm spending $$ on new VMWare clusters and I'm trying to get them to add Server 2012 to the EA.

We still have Server 03 in production.. *shakes head*.

Well I finally have had some time to spend driving the new hotrod SSD and let me tell you... it's mighty quick. Been moving files around between devices and doing a bunch of setup stuff. Downloads are way faster than I've ever seen before. 8.1 is not any more hassle than I expect. Navigating from screen to screen is tricky but I'm sure to get used to it in time. All the important stuff for file explorer is the same with a few enhancements. Glad I bought this and really glad I stuck the new drive in.

Right now I'm in the following mode of shopping.
W7 OS
14-15" screen
6gb Min RAM (not sure 4gb isn't enough but I'm being told I REALLY should go 8gb)
SSD (definately not OCZ per everybody)
500gb memory
Other specs open to suggestion
Leaning Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, maybe ASUS. No Dell consumer or Sony
I have the Asus 650, 400GB HDD 500GB and bleeping W8. Not a bad lap top other than the W8 going nuts on occasion. Came from a 6yr old Dell, customer support was good when I bought it but when the India crap came up I took it to the local shop that carries Asus until it cost more to repair than buy new.

I might have to try that on the wife laptop, she really dislikes windows 8.1, thanks for the link.

No problem. I'm a PC tech, and I've installed that on more than a few computers for frustrated customers. It seems to work well. Enjoy!

It was a quick and easy install, we both like having the old start menu back. Windows 8.1 has it's points but familiarity has it's points as well.

Back