• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks?

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Hi all;

a buddy owns a 1996 K1500. This truck is hard at work, being used in a farm.

Most of the time, the bed is full.

He puts suspension helpers (Timbren kit -rubber pads), but he notice that the frame has bent a few --- He thinks the Rancho shocks didn't do their job properly--- not sure he's right but...

Anyways, he is so wondering what kind of shocks can help in case of carrying heavy loads.

I think he may use the BILSTEIN, with a spring helper kit suh as the Hellwig kit (1 extra leaf)... That should avoid bending the frame at least.

Any thought?

You might try putting air ride suspension under it. A lot of the farmers around here put it on their trucks. They are not that expensive either. I have seen some of the air ride systems for as little as $250.00 US

I second the air.

I'm fully against the helper spring you're talking about. They're nice up to about 500# or so, but after that, you're worse off than without it at all. The physics of the design, just doesn't lend itself well to giving an advantage with heavy weight.

I used to have that kit on my truck. They work great, but the ride qaulity suffered a little even with the minimum 5psi that they recommend.

I have always used Rancho shocks. Seen a few broken shock studs from hardcore four wheelin but otherwise thought they were great shocks.

I have the Bilstiens and they are great. Not the smoothest ride but no more rolling like a pig going around corners.

:confused: x2

The previous owner (PO) installed an add-a-leaf, and also upgraded to Billstiens in the front (don't know what shocks are in the rear). The PO may have also cranked the torsion keys, but I am not sure about that.. Why are these bad ?

One thing I noticed: my truck's ride is much more harsh than other K1500 6.5s that I have driven. This observation, however, is not based on a lot of trucks, so maybe all the 6.5s will rattle your fillings out. :hypnotized:

If I got rid of the add-a-leaf, would my trucks ride smooth out?

add a leaf - bad move:nono:

I think Matuva's objective is to increase strength not ride.

It looks like the link provided by TD may be the answer instead of add a leaf.

Back