• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shift lever moves with no resistance

Jaryd

Extremely Deplorable
Reaction score
The last time I drove the truck I could tell it was harder to take out of park than it normally is. I pressed the brake pedal and it took more effort to get it into another gear than it normally does. It didn’t take a lot of muscle to move the lever at all but it was a noticeable difference. Not enough for me to think there was a problem with it though. It is always parked on a flat surface so I know that didn’t have anything to do with it.

I got into it today to go pick the kids up and after it crunk up I went to put it in gear and the lever has no resistance at all. It will go from park to 1st like there is nothing hook to the other end of the lever. It’s been raining for several days so I didn’t climb under the truck to see what I could find.

Has this happened to any of y’all before? Is there a weak link that I have never heard about in the shift cable linkages somewhere? I will know more once I’m under the truck but figured I would ask here first since it’s raining outside and I don’t have a dry place to work on it.

Sounds like the shift cable popped off the trans. that happened to me at work one day. a couple of zip ties did the trick! not unless it came loose under the dash!

@Stoney We are ok. Me and the wife had it at the same time, then my oldest daughter got it a week later, then 4 weeks later my youngest daughter tested positive. My son hasn't tested positive yet.

I felt like sh#t for about a week. Honesty, I had the worst body aches that I have ever had. My back and leg muscles hurt worse than I have ever felt. I also had the feeling of a lot of pressure in my head worse than I have ever felt before. I never got a fever but did lose my taste and smell at the end of it. I didn’t get my taste and smell back until about a week ago. My wife also felt like sh#t for about a week. She did have some what of a fever for a day or so. It’s been over a month and my wife still hasn’t gotten her taste and smell back yet.

My oldest had a fever of 104 for about 8 hours or so and the doctors told us not to bring her in. Just watch her. It finally went away and she was back to normal. My youngest daughter and son never had symptoms but before they could go back to school they had to be tested. My youngest daughter tested positive.

The way he kids school rules works is, if anybody in the family tested positive the whole family quarantines for 14 days. If the kids don’t get covid during the 14 days they have to stay out for 14 more days because it could be harboring in their body and hadn’t shown up yet.🤯 On the 28th day they have to get tested. If negative they come back to school. My wife is a music teacher at the school that all 3 of my kids go to.

In my case my wife tested positive on a Friday and I tested positive on a Sunday. The kids had to quarantine for 14 days. My oldest daughter tested positive the Friday after my wife did. My wife and oldest daughter was able to go back to school after my daughters 14th day. My youngest daughter and son had 14 more days because they showed no symptoms. The Friday before my son and daughter was going to go back to school we got them tested. My youngest daughter tested positive. That means she had to stay out 14 more days. My son 28 if he had no symptoms. 🤯

A week after my youngest daughter tested positive (last Friday) DHEC called my wife and wanted to ask her some questions about the kids and their covid symptoms. She answered their questions and DHEC told her that the whole family should have been considered positive the same week that me and my wife had covid regardless of what a covid test said. They said that we should have quarantined for the 14 days and went back to school. When my wife and oldest daughter went to school this past Monday she told the principal what DHEC said and the principal told her that if that’s what DHEC said then my youngest daughter who tested positive the week before and my son could go back to school that day. What happened to my son being out for 28 days after she tested positive if he showed no symptoms? 🤯

This crap don’t make no sense. I’m telling you, how are you supposed to know what to do when the rules get changed every time you turn around. And how often does DHEC call families to ask questions about the kids and their symptoms? Have y’all heard of that happening to anybody else?

The shift cable has something like a button where the two ends meet. It is released when a new cable is installed, I forget the process but you run the shifter back and forth then stop in a certain location. The button is then pushed in to lock the adjustment.

Sounds like the cable may have been stiff and that button broke, tripped or like was said the cable came off the trans linkage.

Glad you feel better, I felt like crap for almost a week, vacuuming 5 gallons of mouse crap and bodies out of my combine likely didn't help matters either. Bleaching mouse bodies that have stuck to the upholstery really builds an appetite.

Back