• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SES, loss of power, black smoke

Amazing how the proper amount of sleep, a couple cups of coffee, and daylight help in finding bad parts...

ZCANYPQ.jpg

Complete bearing failure on the vacuum pump. That belt had less than 2,000 miles on it, Goodyear Gatorback. Not sure I would have made it home if it hadn't been new.

Glad you didn't have to find the WG solenoid like that :D

If you can pull it off, now is a perfect time to move over to an ATT as it will eliminate a number of possible failures on the road-trip to Alaska :)

Or, at minimum, turbomaster, shorter belt and a program.

Guys, guys... If I had had to replace the turbo the truck was going to be sold. That kind of outlay is simply not in the budget right now.

The cheapest fix is loose the pump, shorter belt and a homemade TM.

Rather than a shorter belt a dummy pulley go inplace or just gut the pump.

The cheapest fix is loose the pump, shorter belt and a homemade TM.

Rather than a shorter belt a dummy pulley go inplace or just gut the pump.

Nothing left of the pump to gut. It was a catastrophic failure of the bearings that also broke the housing. The shaft and pulley are twisted sideways by the tension on the belt, and aren't turning. And while what you say might be a cheaper fix, I don't have the facilities to make one right now because everything is getting packed to move to Alaska, so I'd have to buy one, and wait for it to be delivered. Meanwhile, I can replace the pump for about $50 more and have it running tomorrow.

Wow thats some cool breakage! Trying to compete with WarWagon?

Snort!
Working vac pump never made it back on the dead engine burb I bought. It went OTD as scrap metal. Only use I would have for one is damping out the belt flop from the AC load. if you take the vac pod off there is a way to change the oil in it, but, what kind of oil I don't know.

Air conditioning vacuum pump oil? :D

I don't feel anyone's pain on vac pump failures... :woot:

Ah, but with an ATT, you *will* get a new truck :D:D:D
I tell you what, since you like the idea so much, you sell my wife on it. If you can do that...

Nah, seriously, budget is super tight right now because, while the government will reimburse most of the expenses for this move, that reimbursement is far down the road. We took out a $40k loan to get this done (we also need to cover the costs associated with selling our house here and buying one there) and stuff is adding up quickly. We estimate it's going to cost upwards of $3,500 to drive my truck there ($1,800 just in fuel), then there was the cost of the trailer ($2,900), the cost to get the three cats there ($900 each), paying for stuff that needs to be done on the house now to sell it (stuff like painting, some landscaping, etc.) and so on. That $40k is looking awful small against the bills starting to pile up.

I tell you what, since you like the idea so much, you sell my wife on it. If you can do that...

Nah, seriously, budget is super tight right now because, while the government will reimburse most of the expenses for this move, that reimbursement is far down the road. We took out a $40k loan to get this done (we also need to cover the costs associated with selling our house here and buying one there) and stuff is adding up quickly. We estimate it's going to cost upwards of $3,500 to drive my truck there ($1,800 just in fuel), then there was the cost of the trailer ($2,900), the cost to get the three cats there ($900 each), paying for stuff that needs to be done on the house now to sell it (stuff like painting, some landscaping, etc.) and so on. That $40k is looking awful small against the bills starting to pile up.

What amount of time does the engine spend over 2000 RPM at load? Possible to recover cost from fuel savings.

I'll tell her it's a moving expense and will specifically start saving you fuel money on this trip. Esp if you tow something with the truck. More MPG and More power. You will be able to save time and keep up with her Dodge.

You will be able to save time and keep up with her Dodge.

The Dodge is going by container on a ship so...

And I don't doubt it'll save money in the long run, it's having the actual $ to do it in the first place that's the issue. Unless they want to give me a free sample and document the trip for advertising I don't see it happening.

Well, new pump is in, and my power is back, still getting smoke though, just not as much. Gonna have to check that air filter.

Just a last follow up to say thanks to all who contributed their thoughts and advice to this thread. The new vac pump is in and working. The noise I could never find that had plagued the truck for 7 years is gone. Still getting a bit of smoke accelerating under load, so I should probably be taking a hard look at some of the modifications suggested here, but money is still super tight, and will be for the next 3-4 years. The wife took a pay cut and stepped down a grade to take this job, and needs to stay at it for a minimum of two years, after which we hope she'll be able to get the job she really wants, field office director of an office on the West Coast so she can be closer to her elderly parents. So, not only are there a lot fewer dollars in the monthly budget for the next couple of years, but we have a $40k loan to pay back (taken out to help with moving costs not covered by her work, and costs of getting the house ready for sale), and then we get to do it all again in reverse when it's time for her to move on to the next rung of her career path ladder. Fun, fun, fun.

Well, when it rains, it pours. It seems the move to Alaska is off and a lot of things just came to a screeching halt today. My orthopedic surgeon wants to do immediate surgery to fix some old soft tissue injuries in my knees so I can then do about a year of physical therapy, then do two full knee replacements, then more physical therapy. He's ruled out me doing any extended drives, such as to Alaska, not if I want to keep walking. So, the wife bailed on the job, we're paying back the big chunk of the loan that didn't get used, and working on getting the house setup to make my recovery easier.

Back