• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service trailer came early boys

Slides got delayed but should be here tuesday. Tossed a few things around and I could get rid of the 9ft bed by using the space under the 11ft bed.

And just for shits n giggles decided to mock up having the Nissan tow the trailer (has a 2000 lb cargo rating). Oddly enough the k5 sagged worse, and the Nissan isn't even on the bump stops haha. Theoretically it could handle it with a few thousand pounds. Figure a neck weight at 25%, up to 8,000 lbs of trailer/cargo. Drivetrain wouldn't live for long hahahaha. But if I did get a wild hair up my ass and put a hitch in the Nissan it could be used to move the trailer when empty/lightweight loads.

20191117_135824.jpg

Built the drawer for the passenger side rear box where the band saw and plasma cutter get stored. Band saw will be bolted down, plasma cutter will get something to organize the hose/electrical parts. Thinking maybe 3 upright arms at the back of the tray to hang those on.

20200118_144853.jpg

20200118_144906.jpg

Kept the bow up as seen in the first 2 pics. Just the weight of the band saw was enough to invert the bow (just 10 gauge plate) so added the angle iron to the front/rear of the drawer which made it all nice and rigid.

20200118_152303.jpg

The bandsaw needs a raised mount to operate vertically and to adjust the clamp (silver handle, left side down low).

20200118_153130.jpg

So, the trailer is overweight currently. Figuring a safe load rating of 10,400 lbs on axles and a 25% weight transfer of 2,600 lbs giving a max trailer weight of 13,000 lbs. Well rolled over the scale to find out the real weight.

20200228_173035.jpg

As seen in the pic the combined weight was just under 24,000 lbs. 12,000 lbs sitting on the truck axles, 12,000 sitting on the trailer axles.

There are 6 55 gallon drums sitting on the trailer but only 2 are full. The suburban fuel tank has about 20-30 gallons in it, and there's about 80 gallons of waste oil. If all that was full add another 1400 lbs.

The scrap metal skid (about 450 lbs if I remember right), wheel lift from the wrecker (at least a few hundred), and a couple hundred pounds of steel sitting in the beds as well. Planning to sell the wheel lift and if I need to take the skid to scrap.

There are manufacturers that have 6" C channel for the main frames on 10-14k rated trailers, but their neck/upright is larger with quite a few more crossmembers than this trailer has. Plus the axles on this trailer are a hodge podge of different things. The tubes are larger than 7k's, uses 6k spindles, hubs are an oddball 5x5.5 pattern with bearings that match the 6k on 1 side and lighter on the other side. Tire size matches for 5200 lb or 6000 lb axles though.

Today built a new wiring harness for the trailer along with a box so it's easier to troubleshoot or add on later. Wires are in the loom and secured down the entire length. Typical 4 wires running to the rear lights and dedicated 2 wires for each trailer axle brakes. Currently only has 1 axle with brakes and they are intermittent, replacing the front axle in the next few weeks for a new 5200 lb or 6000 lb with brakes. New axle will require different wheels.

Other pic from under the trailer came out fuzzy so just 1 pic of the wiring. Imagine the secured wire loom you see coming out of the box continuing on for another 20 ft hahaha.

20200229_182248.jpg

Turns out I'm moving back to Texas in May, going back to workin in the oilfield and will be building on the lake property. Plan is to get the tow rig and trailer ready for those long trips. Parts ordered for the trailer:

new 5200 axle with brakes and common 6x5.5 hub pattern
3 wheels with that pattern
4 new tires
marker lights for the trailer sides

The front axle is currently an idler, crooked new spindle install (my mistake). Plus both the axles being oddballs makes replacement parts a pain in the ass and I want brakes on both axles. The rear axle will get replaced later.

Debated replacing the trailer with a new 14k but a couple reasons why I didn't. Cheaper, lighter, ground clearance, and once I shave a little bit of weight off the tool setup the trailer will suit my needs as a "little trailer".

New tires on both axles, and the front axle was replaced today with a new 5200 lb model. 89" hubface and 74" spring center was close to matching, spring perches were slightly too wide which was expected (ordered new perches with the axle). Still need to weld those new ones in and run the wires for this axles brakes.

20200313_153832.jpg

Very nice, what kind of ratings on the tires, Red? Good deal on the brakes for sure, a must...…. ;)

These are load range E, 2850 lbs each. So with the trailer being rebuilt with 10,400 lbs of axle rating, 11,400 lbs of tire capacity, and brakes for each axle. The rear axle brakes are problematic (looking like will need new assemblies) but the front axle is all new. An improvement over how it was originally built.

Technically and from a legal stand point as long as you don't exceed 11,400 pounds gross weight on the trailer you should be good to go on the tire ratings.... 👍

Technically and from a legal stand point as long as you don't exceed 11,400 pounds gross weight on the trailer you should be good to go on the tire ratings.... 👍

Currently past that, sitting at 12k on the trailer axles. If I drag the wheel lift and the cargo skid off for the first trip down to Texas (next week) then will be below the tire ratings. This first load is going to be the heaviest and take some work to get it proper haha. Total will be 3 trips to move stuff (tools, 82 crew cab, then in house stuff).

Currently past that, sitting at 12k on the trailer axles. If I drag the wheel lift and the cargo skid off for the first trip down to Texas (next week) then will be below the tire ratings. This first load is going to be the heaviest and take some work to get it proper haha. Total will be 3 trips to move stuff (tools, 82 crew cab, then in house stuff).

12,000 pounds (600 over the tire ratings) is not that bad over in the grand scheme of things, as us common people are thinking. Really and truly it all boils down to if you was to get stopped by the CVSA enforcement people (truck police, DOT, whatever they are called), and if they thought you were in commerce and had to meet the federal Regulations?

If you have equipment, tools and all that stuff it will appear that you are moving equipment to a job site to some people, maybe? Main thing is you would need to convince anyone that you are moving and not in commerce or making money.

In commerce is the BIG KEY of course, that's they only way that the Federal Regulations are supposed to be enforced. Just moving personal items from one state to another, you would not be in commerce, your not in the business of making money, no gain of any kind. If you are not in commerce then tire ratings would not apply along with a bunch of other stuff, except if there was a crash and a lawyer could prove your trailer tire ratings were exceeded, then that's all that legal mumbo, jumbo stuf. Also, just to be safe, tie down all those items with straps, chains or whatever, don't have any loose 4x4 timbers or anything on the bed of the truck or trailer. Loose items, whether it be a spare tire, 2X4, rocks, etc, can create an operator some problems.

12,000 pounds (600 over the tire ratings) is not that bad over in the grand scheme of things, as us common people are thinking. Really and truly it all boils down to if you was to get stopped by the CVSA enforcement people (truck police, DOT, whatever they are called), and if they thought you were in commerce and had to meet the federal Regulations?

If you have equipment, tools and all that stuff it will appear that you are moving equipment to a job site to some people, maybe? Main thing is you would need to convince anyone that you are moving and not in commerce or making money.

In commerce is the BIG KEY of course, that's they only way that the Federal Regulations are supposed to be enforced. Just moving personal items from one state to another, you would not be in commerce, your not in the business of making money, no gain of any kind. If you are not in commerce then tire ratings would not apply along with a bunch of other stuff, except if there was a crash and a lawyer could prove your trailer tire ratings were exceeded, then that's all that legal mumbo, jumbo stuf. Also, just to be safe, tie down all those items with straps, chains or whatever, don't have any loose 4x4 timbers or anything on the bed of the truck or trailer. Loose items, whether it be a spare tire, 2X4, rocks, etc, can create an operator some problems.

Familiar with the DOT regs, dealt with them in previous jobs for over a decade haha. Usually when they realize it's private use they leave you alone but being over the weight capacity of the vehicle or trailer they can get you for that. Not the 26k lb CDL stuff but a trailer being rated for x amount but exceeding it, they can bug private use for that violation. Not a likely thing to happen though. Mostly the weight concern is just me wanting it to be right, not overweight.

Familiar with the DOT regs, dealt with them in previous jobs for over a decade haha. Usually when they realize it's private use they leave you alone but being over the weight capacity of the vehicle or trailer they can get you for that. Not the 26k lb CDL stuff but a trailer being rated for x amount but exceeding it, they can bug private use for that violation. Not a likely thing to happen though. Mostly the weight concern is just me wanting it to be right, not overweight.
Red, I admire you for being so meticulous and wanting things right. Some people could care less about it and would just take chances on having an issue or hurting others in the event of an equipment failure.

When I am working on trailer electricals, I will weld a bolt to the frame near where the electrical components is located, then, use that bolt for a grounding lug, so the same up near the hitch to hook the ground to up there. So far that has worked real well for Me and saves a bunch of white wire to run grounds to each components. LOL

Couple developments on the trailer. After the move down here to Texas the service beds were pulled off and been using the trailer as a general flatbed. Sold the 9ft bed, and picked up some 275 ish gallon tanks. 2 for fresh water that are mounted on the skid, one for diesel sitting on the lot and got rid of the 55 gallon drums finally.

Trailer is going to get a rolling tailboard so it can swap out skid as needed (tools, water, etc).

20200505_201220.jpg20200512_143519.jpg20200512_143537.jpg20200512_145423.jpg

First roller tail I built at the truck equipment shop, a customer brought in 8 bearings, solid cold roll for the axle, and 3/16” wall pipe for the rollers themselves. He drew up exactly what be wanted- and the rollers had 1/2” clearance. After building it and messing with it a little I told the guy I didn’t like that gap size- it looked dangerous.
He came back 2 weeks later and had us cut it all off. Apparently his 10yr old rolled his fingers into the gap and crushed/ broke all 4 fingers on one hand and 3 on the other.

The roller bar bearings was a great idea, But it needed tight clearance so nothing can get in there. build the center section separate and replaceable from the two sides. The winch cable tears it up.

That is sad about the childs fingers. it usually takes an event for most people to realize that things could have been different.
Safety is a number one item on how I try to get things to work out. Once in a while I`ll miss the mark, or have someone point it out to Me and then I get right on it to get the hazard corrected.

Guessing the kid tried to climb onto the trailer by putting his hands on the roller then jump up, not realizing it would roll.

Other hazard with them is stepping onto the roller when walking off the trailer.

Like the bed winch it has its hazards to be aware of, many benefits though.

Back