• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Throttle Soon......What the?

Yep, running normal and right as rain. That is for the 5 mile drive down to Discount Tire to replace the valve stem that was broken when my kid climbed up to get under the hood with me.

So could have certainly been grounds, or a fuse. Sometimes fuses break (not blow) somewhere other than in the center and become intermittent continuity from variations in heat and vibrations.

Rebuilt grounds and it has run great for about a month, but last week while at a stop light it died. Did this about three times in a row. It's doing this at very low idle while in gear almost like it is bogging down. Just replaced the OPS with a fresh oil change and lift pump tested good.

It has been giving a SES light,code 36, for about ten seconds right after start up when I make a short stop- run into store for milk, soda, parts store, etc.

Usually just from using ULSD without a good lubricity additive, PS is not a good enough one. That or some air in the fuel lines. If you have not done the OPS relay mod would do that asap.

How well did you do/check the grounds on the rear stud/tranny dip stick?

Do yourself a favor....Remove all the grounds on the back of the engine, put new connectors on, clean and tighten......This way you can rule that OUT.

X2 the one on the passenger side head rear lug is the one that is the main gnd for the PCM, it must be spotless or the exact symptoms you are reporting on can happen. Check the lug again you said rebuilt the gnds, use a ohm meter to gnd and measure the resistance in the gnd wire needs to be as close to zero as possible

The FSDs you are using were the new or "used but good" spares that have been exposed to heat at some time in their life

Well I am very new to this forum (First Post).
I had a similar problem with my 96 6.5 and it was a TPS I replaced that and it now has worked for about 6 months without any problems.

In 6.5 EFI (DS4) vernacular it should be APP Accelerator Pedal Position for IP governing in conjunction with the PCM.

TPS may be found on mechanical IP (DB2) 6.2/6.5 Diesels IIRC for use with cruise control

sorry about that im a little slow on the draw getting back. Thanks guys for helping out on the reply

I've got dive rescue/salvage training all week, so I'll have to track down an APP later.

Before condemning the APP try to see if you have same issues in cruise control which takes APP out of the loop, there really haven't been that many APP fails. I haven't tried it myself, but some have said APP can be taken apart and contacts within have been cleaned, if you find APP is to be at fault, I'd try that before spending $$$ for a replacement

It doesn't happen at speeds requiring cruise. Generally it dies well below 10 mpg, anything faster and it doesn't even shutter.

Died a couple times today at rolling stops. It would restart only after I cycled it off. Now the puzzling part, first time its done it, is while cooling EGTs(per gauge) in front of house. It actually revved up for a sec after sitting for a min or two. Tomorrow morning it gets some 2-cycle oil.

there have been rare pmds that had this symptom but from everthing I've read the revving is not a good sign for the IP

Sounds just like fuel starvation. Dead LP/OPS or snotty sock. Do lift pump diagnostics, check pressure with truck off and when idling. While running pop open filter bleeder or drain to see if you have pressurized fuel. Check pin G of OBD port to see if you have 14V OPS power while idling.

IP can pull fuel from tank, more vacuum at higher RPM, and then stall when at low RPM. it revs just as it runs out of fuel.

Lift pump OK, new OPS, and it really enjoyed the 2-cycle/power service for a couple days. Died coming to a stop three times today(not consecutively). If I shift to neutral just before stopping there are no problems at all, except the fact I'm having to shift into neutral so it possibly wont die.

Back